Thread: Interactive DVD Production

Default Interactive DVD Production

Hi Guys, noobie here.

I have been mastering capturing and producing DVD's from VHS tapes ect...now for some technical boost i was wondering if there is any software out there that will produce an interactive DVD.

What i was wanting to do is make a promotional DVD that has an opening Video Clip then it would say what do you want to do now? then come up with some options that need choosing, like Horse Rides, Canoeing, Rock Climbing ect...then it would go into that topic and show video of what was chosen.

Can this be done ??

Thank you in advance for any assistance !

Darkat

Of course it can be done. I'll bet just about every single DVD you've bought has this on it.

Unless I've misunderstood your question this is a simple case of auto play timeline 1, on end go to menu 1. menu 1 contains buttons to play timeline 2,3,4,5,6....

No more difficult than a chapter select menu.

You can easily record a " first play" video or modify an existing clip with a voice over . You would then specify force first play video to ensure it is played just before your menu page which will then have the selections any time the dvd is inserted into the player

That way the dvd will open up with the first play video( such as you get in commercial dvds showing dolby digital animation sequence or Short video/animation from MGM, Warner etc.) then at the end a voice-over from you saying" what do you want to do?".
    If followed by the menu ( which has the various selections) this will achieve what you want. Note that unless you specify what you want at this menu building stage, the selections could either lead to a continous flow to the next clip or go back to menu page after each clip has played. If the clips are not related it may be desirable to allow them finish and return to the menu page but if the clips are related it would mean that the video would only go from start to finish if the play all button is selected.
    In DVDWS it is a simple matter of modifying the attributes of the various menu buttons
    I put a few software selections in another post replying your wish to get rid of annoying dvd menus made by settop DVD recorders.
    What do you currently use? I believe Alan was reffering to Adobe Encore . I was reffering to Ulead DVDWS in reference to the first play video: both mean the same thing : just different ways of getting there.
    Do feel free to pm me or write for clarification if you find the above helpful
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough

Default Not quite

Have you seen 'Who wants to be a millionaire Interactive DVD'

you have a video clip they ask a question then it comes up with the 4 answers to choose then you use your dvd remote select the answer, it continues to the next section. This is what i mean

Default Re: Not quite

Quote Originally Posted by Darkat
    Have you seen 'Who wants to be a millionaire Interactive DVD'

you have a video clip they ask a question then it comes up with the 4 answers to choose then you use your dvd remote select the answer, it continues to the next section. This is what i mean
    Interestingly,I saw a short segment of that for the first time only this afternoon although I actually have the computer PC version. I suspect it is a hybrid DVD-ROM/ VIDEO
    I have in the recent past dabbled with Macromedia Director to make interactive multimedia training video for work ( Doctor training in the NHS) . Prior to that I had tried different methods none of which could do all I wanted. I leaned (rather heavily :idea: ) on the expertise of my nephew who can use director having learnt in at University.
    I think what you are aspiring to do goes beyond the remit of simple to intermediate dvd video authoring. The "Millionaire" DVD appears to have quite a few aspects of interactive multimedia authoring which was probably made by more than one person using elements of different software and varying expertise. I will ask my nephew if he can duplicate the "millionare" effect as we will call it but Im quite keen to see if anybody else can bring up an alternative less convoluted method of achieving what you want
    Good Luck
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough

yes i was thinking maybe something like menu butons without the background, instead they appear on the last frame of the clip. Then when you click it plays that segment...when that segment finished it will do the same bring up a list of buttons (less the one already watched)