Thread: DV Capture Aspect Ratio Problems

Default DV Capture Aspect Ratio Problems

I am new at this, just starting the task of producing DVD from my Digital 8 Sony tapes.
    Using firewire, the only digital out from the camera, I have not found one program that will allow me to adjust to the 640x480 ratio. All the captues default to 720x480 and the playback is distorted, thin people are fat etc.

The only one that allows me to adjust is Movie Maker, but I wind up with .wmv which is unusable. I have a Turtle Beach device for USB work with analog, but it does not automatically give me scene changes as the DV stream.

Is there a way to make avi from my DV capture and have it adjust to the recorded 4:e ratio? My plan B is to just capture in analog and work harder editing.

XP, HP Pavilion 3.0, 512, variety of capture S/W

Thank you

Bob
    Bob Hamilton
    Poconos, PA

Blog Entries

Hi Bob.

What programs have you tried to capture and/or edit with so far (Other than WMM)? Perhaps with a clue of what you have, we can advise settings etc.

Mister Crane, Thank you for the reply. The civility of UK gentlemen is always apparent and appreciated. Send some of it over to the colonies.

I have a Turtle beach black box for analog capture, but the Software they bundled is Video Advantage, and Cyberlink Power Director 3. I also have Nero Start Smart bundle, and a Ulead program I don't like.

I want to capture in avi, and edit from there..It seems the DV capture defaults to 720x480, and the firewire can't " fight" with it. The config Frame Format adjustments are grayed out.

I suspect the firewire is the problems..these programs look for USB, and my Sony Digital8 only has a firewire output. I can use S connections and do analog, but I had hoped for digital capture.

Cheerio and thenks[/b]
    Bob Hamilton
    Poconos, PA

Bob

I might be showing my ignorance here but I don't think you can capture DV in any format other than the standard NTSC or PAL formats. If I'm wrong about that then sorry for misleading you. I also don't think your issue has to do with USB or Firewire transfer.

When you say the WMV file is unusable what do you mean exactly. I know that editing in DV AVI is the ideal way of doing things but the new Premiere Elements 2 allows you to import and edit WMV files and then convert / burn your project to DVD. It might be your best option rather than going the analogue way.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

720x480 is the standard for North America DV. No way to change that.

If you intend to produce DVD videos with the footage, you won't need to change anything. The players will automatically convert to the proper 4:3 aspect ratio at output time. 720x480 is standard for DVD. The DVD authoring software makes sure the correct bits are set in the video files to make the players do so.

Viewing the resulting DVD files from your hard drive with a PC video player may or may not pay attention to these bits. Power DVD does. Windows Media Player may not.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hamilton
    The civility of UK gentlemen is always apparent and appreciated. Send some of it over to the colonies.
    You wouldn't be saying that if you'd ever been out in Stockport on a Saturday night

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    The civility of UK gentlemen is always apparent and appreciated. Send some of it over to the colonies.
    You wouldn't be saying that if you'd ever been out in Stockport on a Saturday night

Exactly as Bob said ..... Stockport is the colonies Mike

Thanks one and all for your comments.
    I am going to video a circle and then a square, which will show up any abnormalties in aspect ratio in the final production.

I hesitate to use wmv in spite of the fact that one , apparently, will produce a 4:3 final DVD product. The compression has to lose detail.

I will report result, FYI

Where is Stockport? Sounds like an adventurous place.
    Bob Hamilton
    Poconos, PA

Blog Entries

Where is Stockport? Sounds like an adventurous place.
    If the world had piles, they would be in Stockport Bob.

Original problem solved. I have captured with several programs as a DV, and the aspect ration ( 4:3 ), does in fact straighten itself out when it is assembled ,burned and played.

There were differences in video quality from one capture to another. Nero 6 seemed to produce the best result, although none approached the quality of the original Digital8 playback from the camera to TV, via S connection.

Nero was not as friendly as others for actually assembling and editing the final movie. Perhaps I should read the instructions. I will see if MS Movie Maker will do a better editing job.

Thanks for your feedback, it was most helpful.

Perhaps I should book a weekend in Stockport..sounds like an unusual place.
    Bob Hamilton
    Poconos, PA