Thread: Premiere Pro Audio questions - sample rates

Default Premiere Pro Audio questions - sample rates

Hello,

I've used Premiere 6 a few years ago for independent features and small promotional stuff. Because of 6's inability to properly display and pan on hi-res stills, and it's tendancy to add audio blipps, I had transfered over to Final Cut Pro for professional documentary editing and effects.

So now I'm on my PC using good ol' Premiere Pro 1.5 and I'm wondering about a few things. Why is the audio only available in 32 or 48 kHz? CD audio is sampled at 44.1 khz... and DVD audio tracks are typically sampled at 96kHz. Why isn't the audio in Premiere Pro flexible? Maybe I'm not informed enough on the science of ditgital audio. Also when you create a new project, it says is will sample at 12/16 bits per sample. Why the /? Where do I select what I'm sampling at? So many questions!

Also what does DV video (and hd?) sample at?

Thanks,

Charlie

I notice on my camcorder that I can record audio in both 12/16 bit and at either 32Khz or 48Khz so maybe the software is designed to cater for the recording capabilities of consumer model camera's, it's only a guess but the same figures makes me feel there is some connection. Also in Premier when you start a new project set it to 48Khz and then go to Custom and change the audio down to 44Khz, that seems to work a lot better for some reason.