Thread: Dual Processor

Default Dual Processor

Dual Processor

Hi Peoples,
    I have a Pentium 4, 3.2gh, 1.5gig ram, nvidea gt6600 graphics card, 200gig hdd, dual processor.
    The fan on the processor speeds up and is fairly noisy slow fast slow fast so on.
    It mainly does this with graphics but some times with downloads.
    When playing games like GTA and Battlefield2 it really revs out even when a game is paused and then after awhile it goes to the blue screen memory dump process then restarts.
    When you first start it up and put a game up it takes about 5minutes to jam then after that more frequently.
    It also makes the graphics and video playback jolty as if it canít keep up.
    All the components are new.
    Does it sound like the processor is at fault? As Iíve never had anything to do with dual processors before so any info would be good.
    I donít know what to think Iíve formatted and played about but no good.
    Any suggestion most appreciated.
    Cheers
    Onewaymetal
    OneWayMetal
    Made in Tasmania.
    See 1 Quad U havn\'t seen all.

Hmmm

As a professional hardware support person (puts on CSR hat) I would....

Determine if only 1 of your processor fans are 'revving up and down' or if they both are. (it may just be a faulty fan or the settings for 1 of the fans is incorrect) At this point I would also determine if it wasn't the fan on the video card that was actually making all the noise. And make sure that the fan on the CPU's was rated correctly (ie. someone didn't cheap out on the cooling fan)

Then I would look is in the BIOS settings for CPU temprature settings (or in the software that may control this, if any) they may be set too low. You need to get the proper specifications from your CPU manufacturer and set your sensitivity accordingly.

If those settings were correct I would check the airflow in the chassis - make sure you dont have a bundle of cables blocking an important airflow point.

Then check that all the other fans in the chassis are functioning correctly - one of them may not be working (don't forget the power supply fan)

Then make sure your Chassis is not in a confined space - it needs lots of space to breathe.

Then I would ask the user if thay went and 'overclocked' their CPU - If you answer yes to this I would say.... well, I wouldn't say anything, probably just laugh and walk away....

But if you did 'over clock' you need to 'up' the power in your fan because it will definatly not be rated for the extra heat you will be pushing out.

Hope that helps
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Default Cheers

Cheers for that mate.
    The case is well vented and the noise seems to be comming from the processor fan even when i take off the side panel it still carries on. I think it's the cpu the graphics card fan seems ok, i don't overclock and when i aim a little house cooling fan directly at the processors no problem hasn't jamed or frozen or skiped all day and my kids have been playing a high graphic game all day. (that i only tried today)
    Thanks again for taking the time on this.
    OneWayMetal
    Made in Tasmania.
    See 1 Quad U havn\'t seen all.

good stuff, at least its localized

I would not reccommend that you run your machine with the side off unless that 'house fan' is on the CPU's at all times

I would reccommend that you seek out a CPU fan with a bigger pitch to the blades, push more air across it.

or mount a second internal fan aimed at the CPU's

good luck
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)