Thread: editing files from DVD's

Default editing files from DVD's

I know this has probably been asked many times......but I'm gonna ask again. If I were to burn my DV tapes to a DVD using a Sony DVD recorder deck, can I edit those files at a later time using pin. studio 9 SE??? Tired of buying DV tapes and got a kick arse deal on a $600 Sony DVD Rec. deck. Got fer free. Xmas gift from my MIL, she only paid $100 for it thru a hook up from sears. And since I'm strapped fer cash, she gave it to me as an xmas gift.

Blog Entries

There's a few different methods, and one can be found in the FAQ - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/faq

Editing VOB files which are the mpeg2 files named in the dvd styles convention ( and which you can rename Mpg) files is generally a bit of a pain but is possible even with S9. The FAQ method encorages a means to turn them back into AVI which are less of a hassle to edit.
    I do worry though about the usability of S9 ( works for me but Im told im in the minority)
    You could try Downloading a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 2 and see if you can edit you dvd files (ie vob) with less worries of suspect stability
    http://softwareupdates.adobe.com/upd...l.jsp?cid=2674
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough

Default Editing or adding a menu

If you have captured a dv tape to DVD recorder on a +rw, and it has an annoying DVD menu with the recorders name on, can you edit remove or change the menu ??

It will be difficult (or even impossible) to edit the actual menu but it is quite easy to remove it and replace it with something you much prefer by a process called re-authoring
    You will need a dvd authoring software such as Ulead Movie Factory 4 or MovieWorkshop2
    Consider the DVD to be a collection of video files ( called vob in a dvd) with an index ( or table of contents) linked to the menu. "chapters" are defined and navigation to them in this index.
    In removing the menu, you are getting rid of the "table of contents" and replacing it with your own specifying the new name , background image : Still or motion, and any music.
    Depending on the program you use you may also be able to say how you want each button in the menu to behave. and you can rearrange the order of play
    I recently used both programs to re create a DVD with menu from a dvd (+RW) recorded on a settop dvd recorder from vhs tape
    try these links there are free trial downloads
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/dmf/runme.htm

http://www.ulead.co.uk/dws/runme.htm

There are of course other programs but I find these easy to use affordable and stable. ( .. no..I dont work for ULead!)

I just want to know if it can be done. don't care how at the moment. who knows, I may nvr edit the video or if I do, it probably won't be for a yr or more. have bigger more important fires to put out first

Quote Originally Posted by senu
    Editing VOB files which are the mpeg2 files named in the dvd styles convention ( and which you can rename Mpg) files is generally a bit of a pain but is possible even with S9.
    "I just want to know if it can be done".. you have an answer .The problem is your proposed tool.