Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kestrels, Raptors... then what?

Default Kestrels, Raptors... then what?

Andy, once that new Raptor of yours hits the streets how about the following as a new project...?

I'd be quite interested in a cheap and reliable car mount for my camera. i.e. something with sucker cups on it to hold my video camera to the side of my car (or the bonnet (hood?) or anywhere else come to think of it) so I can get those cool wheel-eye-view shots of driving along.

What do you think? Maybe a UK equivalent (and cheaper?) version of the product(s) at www.stickypod.com ?

Blog Entries

Hi Alan.

Development in the Raptor department has come to a bit of a stuttering halt due to my man being in a car crash. Bugger.

Kestrel sales have slowed to snails pace (I haven't put it on ebay for a while). I want to make the crane capable of supporting much bigger cameras as at the moment I feel it's a bit toytown.

The suction mount though. Hmm... Well, I think the suction mount might be a bit too far for me. I've often thought that instead of suction, perhaps a rig like a bike rack with bars, pads and straps to secure would be feasible, very secure (I'm scared of losing a camera in the middle of a road somewhere) and a hell of a lot cheaper too.

I'll look deeper into it.

OK. Just a thought.

If you can get that crane supporting a loaded camera weighing up to 5Kg then I think you'll be onto a winner. I can put my FX1e on it and Marc can put his XL2 on it then

But back to the car mount a moment. I've wondered at these. Would you need special permission to put one of these on your car (of any design) and drive it on the roads. I'm thinking in terms of it being a health hazard. Extra chunks of metal strapped on your car could be the difference between a nasty accident and a really serious one if an accident occurred couldn't it?

I was thinking suckers though for convenience of bonnet (hood) mounting as well as low down on the door and maybe profile views of drivers throught he window.

Blog Entries

Heath and safety wise, as long it detaches or collapses on impact I don't think it's too much of an issue. Bike racks are a case in point. Although of course they are on the back, (usually!!) if someone smacks into it they just fall off. Not that I have experience of that, I'm making wild assumptions.

Suckers are going to cost a fortune I guess. The security of them worries the hell out of me too. How much moneys worth of camera would you be willing to trust to one?

With my bike rack stylee idea, if you wanted lets say a low shot behind the front wheel, you would attach top straps to top lip of the door (or window) and bottom straps to bottom of door. The mount could be raised, lowered or levelled to your choice and would rest against the car door on rubber pads.

The limitation of course is that the shots are restricted to panels that have a lip to attach to.

found these, don't know if they would be of interest or in the right price range.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/camera_suct...uum_mounts.htm

Yeah. I'm familiar with those. The point is can we create a low cost equivalent. I'm interested in equivalent of the SM3 on that page. I just don't want one 400 worth.

Personally I don't think there's an issue with suckers as opposed to clamps. Given that mechanics use the things to pull dents out of car bodywork, hold a 3Kg camera using 2 or 3 of them shouldn't really be an issue - especially if the thing has some sort of safety cord attached.

But then again, ask me again just as I'm abot to test drive my lovely FX1e on the side of my car for the first time. I'm sure I'll be suitably apprehensive.

oh well if you want really cheap there's always duct tape

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raj
    Yeah...good old gaffa. I fixed a Transit engine at three in the morning with that stuff once....

(1983, Cornwall, on the way back from a gig, in case anyone's interested)

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Raj
    Yeah...good old gaffa. I fixed a Transit engine at three in the morning with that stuff once....

(1983, Cornwall, on the way back from a gig, in case anyone's interested)
    how the hell you do that?

Blog Entries

Well Ok, It wasn't exactly the engine...a hose had burst and I repaired it with Gaffa..... and it got us back to Nottingham!

Bloody fantastic stuff. (We had to top the rad up in an interesting way too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast