Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do next?

I have to agree with Marc here. Four entries is a particularly poor showing. I'm not too surprised by it though. I saw it coming when I sent my entry to Marc just a few weeks ago and asked how many he had. I was the first!!

I hope no-one is going to say that they did not have enough time. I shot and chopped "The Day I Saw Red" (unscripted) in a single day. Admittedly, I laid some background music (soundtrack?) over it a couple of days later when I found something I liked.

I'm more than happy for my entry to be aired and critiqued. However, under the circumstances, I'm not sure we should run these competitions any more.

Marc, I suggest you publish any or all of the entries you have and just 'air' them. Let's forget the fact that it was intended as a competition and just take the oppertunity to slag each other off a bit eh?

Oh well. My entry was in on time so my conscience is clear!

My 2p

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills

Marc, I suggest you publish any or all of the entries you have and just 'air' them. Let's forget the fact that it was intended as a competition and just take the oppertunity to slag each other off a bit eh?

Oh well. My entry was in on time so my conscience is clear!

My 2p

Alan
    Yes, Id call that a balanced view. Just air them, and have a bit of fun pointing out the flaws in them (in my case, quite a few). A good way to round it off, and with some amusement.

OK, seeing as we're offering honest opinions here - here's mine.

- I really do believe that there would have been more entries if there had been a prize. Generally speaking, a lot people would be more inclined to do something if there was an incentive or reward offered. Is that selfish or shallow? Possibly, but whether that's the case or not, it's a realistic reason.

- It was a very difficult subject, very specific, and possibly a bit too abstract for a lot of people to grasp. I had a few ideas of what to do, but the "redness" about them was so embarassingly tenuous that I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I am disappointed that I couldn't come up with anything, but I would like to see another competition coming from a different angle - something a bit snappier. I remember there was a thread about competition ideas almost a year ago, but I can't find it. One of the ideas I had was "the half-minute film" where people had free reign to present something on any subject, but it had to be 30 seconds long - no more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    I'll go with that too, so long as there are no monochrome jokes
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    One of the ideas I had was "the half-minute film" where people had free reign to present something on any subject, but it had to be 30 seconds long - no more, no less.
    Now that's a beauty. I'll tell you why I like it and why it would work. I'm not a pro and this is purely a really good fun hobby. You learn things everyday by tinkering and reading this board. I wouldn't even dream of entering a competition on a theme but I would certainly have a stab at the "half minute film". I wouldn't enter any old crap though and I'd have a real go. It just opens up the range of people that can enter.

I bet there's a few others that feel like me.

We'll have to 'agree to disagree' as I personally though the theme of red was piss easy to work around:

Red is for danger.
    Red is for stop.
    A red rag to a bull.
    Red Bull gives you wings.
    Red is the colour of the Flying Arrows.
    Red blood flows from a wound.
    Fire Engines.
    Manchester United.
    Liverpool.
    Painting the town red.
    Red sky at night, shepherds delight.
    The red planet.
    The red light district.

The list is endless...

I gave away prizes for the first two competitions. I also spent a LOT of time promoting the second and arranging royalty free music, printed t-shirts and still only 5 entries.

Flogging a dead horse.

I think it would be a good idea to have a comp evry month and then a serious one per year

Default New Video subject?

Flogging a dead horse!
    Now that would make for an interesting video subject.
    Weave.

i would have tried, but i'll admit the red theme was just a bit too vague for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I gave away prizes for the first two competitions. I also spent a LOT of time promoting the second and arranging royalty free music, printed t-shirts and still only 5 entries.
    Marc said it before I could. Prizes didn't help before. Why would they now?

What's really dis-heartening is the number of positive attitudes received at the outset. It looked like there would be easily 20 entries or more from the vibes of the original thread. Receiving only four entries is a let-down.

I suggest that those poeple who think more competitions being a good idea put their money where their mouth is and put up the prizes themselves next time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast