Thread: JVC DV / Firewire problems

Default JVC DV / Firewire problems

Hi,

I've read everything I can find on this forum re the problem I have but can't seem to find anything to help.

Having recently bought a JVC GRD290 and reading this forum I decided to heed the plentiful advice and buy a firewire card. I bought a Belkin USB/Firewire jobbie and installed it. The installation went fine, the USB ports on it work fine and when I plug in the JVC to the firewire port via the supplied cable I get the nice chime from the PC and it tells me I have an 'AVC compliant DV camcorder' connected. Thats's where the success ends though. When I try to capture any video via Windows MovieMaker or via the Belkin suppled VideoStudio 5 it doesn't work. Both packages appear to control the camcorder and the camcorder starts playing but neither package captures anything. Videostudio gives me a 'failed to build preview graph' error followed swiftly by a 'setting the capture preview mode error - check capture driver working properly'.

I guess I''m either doing sometihng wrong or maybe the cable is faulty. Probably the former! Any help appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Glenn

Check this thread out. Sounds similar to your problem so it might help.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/ftopic1414.html

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks JT.

I checked the settings quoted in the other thread and some of them didn't seem relevant to my version 5 software, so I downloaded the trial version of version 9 from Ulead last night and will try again when I get home from work. I'l make sure all my drivers etc are up-to-date (the PC is new though and has XP SP2 installed already) and let you know how I get on. It's so frustrating though isn't it? I must have spent hours trying to get the bloody thing to work already!

Cheers,

Glenn

It's dead annoying. Spending hours on end just trying to get the thing up and running is a pain.

Good luck.

Hi,

I've now installed the most recent versions of the applicatiosn Ulead say I need to run VS9.
    I've also checked the settings quoted in the thread link posted above.
    VS9 is recognising I have a JVC-MSDV connected as the source. I have the format set as 'DV' and the other settings as described in the other thread.
    Just now I had it displaying a preview on the PC monitor when I clicked into capture mode. The thing it still wont capture anything and VS9 gets really slow to respond to anything like it's about to hang. I then get the 'failed to build preview graph' error again and have to shut down VS9.

Any thoughts before I throw the tihng through the window

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn

You might want to go direct to the Ulead support forums on this one as it's so specific to their software. Try it out at

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/

I know you've tried Movie Maker but just to further isolate the problem you could try a couple of other editors to see if you can capture with them.

thanks again JT.

I just posted this:

Hi,

I hope someone can help!

Does anyone have any capture settings to the above DV camcorder for VS9?

The JVC is connected via firewire via a Belkin USB2/firewire combi PCI card. The PC reconises the camcorder is connected and VS9 finds it and even lists it as a ‘JVC MSDV’. . The format defaults to ‘DV’, the device control is set to ‘MS1394 device control’ and the capture plug in is set to ‘Ulead directshow capture plugin’. In the options, the DV type is set to type 1.

When I click ‘start capture’, the camcorder whirs into life and starts playing, the counter on the preview window moves although the ‘time elapsed’ in the top left corner stays at zero. There is nothing in the preview screen
    I then get an error message saying ‘No video was captured, please check if there is any input signal. There may be no device selected’.

Any help appreciated on how I might solve this!

Glenn

I haven't used the software you mention but you should be using DV type 2 instead of 1. Change it if it's possible to see if it does anything.

Thanks. I'll try that. I've also ordered another firewire card + cable to see if that helps too.
    It feels like I'm throwing good money after bad at the moment!

Glenn

Update.

My cheapo 'bought-from-ebay-shipped-from-hong-kong' firewire card is now installed and the problem seems to be fixed - I captured a whole 1hr DV tape last night.

Just goes to show you - Ł30 Belkin USB/Firewire combo card won't work but Ł3.50+postage firewire only card works first time on VS9 default settings.
    When I think of all the wasted hours trying to get the Belkin to work....

Thanks

Glenn