Thread: Slowdown, Frame Hold, Problems

Default Slowdown, Frame Hold, Problems

Hi, it seems whenever I import a video to the timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro, the video always slows down when I play it back. I searched in this forum, and found out that Frame Hold can usually get it running at a normal speed. However, I've enabled this, but now I can't see the video! All I see is a black screen - but the audio is fine. The options set were (in the Frame Hold window) Hold On and In Point. Am I supossed to set different options, or what? Here are my system specs if they are of any assistance:

1.8 GHz Processor (Intel Pentium IV)
    768 MB Memory
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro Video Card
    SB Live! Wave Device Sound Card

Wow, I've never had that happen (video 'slowing down' in the timeline or a need to use the 'frame hold' but I'll take a stab...

basic logic here..

- apply frame hold (done)
    - set starting frame (in point, done)
    - set ending frame (out point, not done?)
    - set length of hold or speed (general, not done?)

seems to me that if you set something called 'frame hold' it will hold the video at that frame for the specified length of time, but the audio plays on - could be your problem

just (logically) guessing btw.
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

It doesn't really slow down, it just gets very choppy

I have the same problem when I edit on a PC similarily specced to yours, I just ignore it because when I export the .AVI's or DVD's - they play just fine.

I think its just a function of slower CPU + lower memory + less/fragmented harddrive space.

the end product is fine for me tho so it might be the same for you.
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Yes, I do know the output plays fine. However, with the choppiness, it is rather difficult to sync up music properly with the video.

Guybrush - i've got a PC similar spec to yours, and unfortunately it's just something i've learnt to have to live with :(

If you are not using an external monitor make sure you deselect it under project settings

In addition to my post above - I upgraded my RAM to 1.25GB and this didn't really help much either. An upgrade is probably on the cards.