Thread: trying to create high quality small size video in WMM

Default trying to create high quality small size video in WMM

Hi

I am trying to edit an .avi movie i recorded on my camera. I am using windows movie maker. The video as it is; is 30 seconds long, 51mb in size 88Kbps and 640x480.

I want to stream this over the net keeping the quality good, i want to reduce the size of the file by making the video smaller like 100x100 but the minimum i can choose on windows move maker is the pocket pc setting size but then the quality is not very good at all

can anyone recommend a way/software to use that i can do this with.
    as an example i am trying to achieve somthing similar to carwatchuk.com with the lady talking.

Thanks

Nick

Blog Entries

Video file sizes are defined by the bitrate. Set this to between 400kps and 600kps Variable bitrate to stream on a broadband connection.

Have you got Win Service pack 2 installed?

yes im running sp2.

i was thinking along the lines that you can have a higher quality video if the actual size frame that it is shown in is only small. Maybe im wrong but i thought bitrate was the speed at which it needed to be streamed.

can you not have a small video that would only show in a fram of say 100X100 pixels so the size of the file would be small there for you could stream it at a lower Kbps and still keep decent quality. compared to showing it at a size of 640x480pixels

Im new to the digital media worls.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickc
    can you not have a small video that would only show in a fram of say 100X100 pixels so the size of the file would be small there for you could stream it at a lower Kbps and still keep decent quality. compared to showing it at a size of 640x480pixels
    In theory, yes you can. The smaller the frame size, the smaller the amount of data you need to store, so you will be able to lower the framerate and keep the quality.

I always use moviemaker to encode movies for web and have found that I can get great quality at 2meg per min at 320x240 or 4meg permin at 640x480.

Although I should know all about bitrates and that I never really bothered. So this is what I do. Once ur movie is ready to be saved:

# On the left expand "3 Finish Movie"
    # Select "Save to my Computer"
    # choose file name and location
    # on the next screen select "Best to fit File Size"
    # now figure out how long ur movie is say 2mins and what size u want it so 2min x2meg = 4 so 4meg is the size u specify by clicking the up/downarrows.

Then you should have a nice small movie that will be both clear and small.