Thread: Capturing/Adding media problems

Default Capturing/Adding media problems

Recently bought Adobe Premiere Elements but having problems importing video files (via Add Media). All raw video I want to edit down is on DVD (VOB files). I need to convert to format usable in Elements, any suggestion on best method/software and best format (mpeg, avi, etc..)?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the information the VOB > DV conversion, appears to have worked a treat however two problems have emerged:

1. When I try to import the large DV file created (12Gb) into Elements via 'Add Media' it doesn't appear to be downloading (no indication on download progress bar after 10 mins). Am I being too impatient?

2. When I played the new DV file to check formatting was OK there was no audio (tried on both Windows Media player and PowerDVD 5)

Western Europe

I can't remember if it was this forum or another one where someone suggested dragging the VOB onto your harddisk, right clicking on the name and 'renaming the file' with a .avi extension, try it and see how you get on. I think the problem with the audio is there is also a much smaller file along with the 'biggie' and it contains some kind of information that gets the audio working so maybe you need to transfer both.

The only way I ever rip DVD's is to plug my DVD player into my camera and capture directly to miniDV, then process as I would any other DVtape.

Never been dissapointed with the results.

My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)