Thread: Newbie Guide DVD Architect 2.0

Default Newbie Guide DVD Architect 2.0

Hey first just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out these past couple months on my project. I am currently finished with the video editing process and am now ready to add the subtitles and make the dvd portion of the movie, however I am not familiar with DVD Architect at all.

So if any of you can post some links for tutorials that have helped you out, or even a quick beginners guide I think it will be very usefull for me and anyone who has just purchased this product. Once again thanks for everything guys, my project is coming along great.

Blog Entries

I'm glad you've found some answers here about Vegas. Irishmark is very knowledgeable and helpful too, as I am when I know the answer.

DVDa is not a difficult program to use. In fact I would say it is a very simple interface that almost tells you what to do. It runs in a very similar vein to Vegas and familiarity with that will carry through.

A guide would take a lot of effort to write and I wouldn't expect many folk to have the time to do it. Since you obviously have a legal copy of DVDa along with your legal copy of Vegas, my best advice is to consult the manual or help files.

I'm afraid you have to at least try to make some headway before asking people to help. Show some initiative, pick up a book, google away, read the help files and if you get stuck on a particular item, then ask about that with pleasure.

Experience here shows (and I'm sure you've noticed) specific questions almost always get answered. Blanket requests don't.

Default got a question then

Ok well then I have a question concerning my project and the files necessary to import into dvd.

First of all my project is currently in stereo but I'd like to have it in 5.1 surround, how do I go about doing this? I know i have to turn it on in preferences but after I have 5.1 set up does this mean that when I import it to dvda that it will only render in 5.1 sound meaning that the person watching can only hear the film in 5.1 or does it switch to stereo if the person does not have 5.1 equipment? I know most dvd's on the market give you the option in the menu to turn on and off audio options, does this mean i have to import 2 seperate sound files to DVDa?

next question is kind of similar regarding subtitles and voice over, This project is going to be voiceovered in spanish and english and subtitled appropriatley as in the movie there are english and spanish being used. So do I have to import a separate audio track, one is engish voiceovers and one is spanish? and would this mean I would also have to make them in stereo and 5.1 format having to import 4 audio files in all? just seems like a lot of work, is there something easier I could do? and whats the difference between rendering audio in a wav. or ac3 file?

thanks again for all the help,I read the manual but it doesn't get to specific on this.

Blog Entries

Creating a 5.1 mix in Vegas is simple as I am sure you've found out already.

Lets assume you render the 5.1 mix as AC3 files within Vegas, as a separate stream (from the video). When you import into DVDA, it recognises this and produces a 5.1 ac3 soundtrack for the dvd. The user will of course be able to listen to it as a normal stereo track, just like they can when they play a `Hollywood` dvd.

Not quite so sure about choices of multiple soundtrack, I will look into this tomorrow and try and post a reply then.

Lastly, always render as AC3 for DVDs, making sure the audio and video clips are the same length and rendered as separate streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    Irishmark is very knowledgeable and helpful too,
    aw shucks!!!

I agree with everything the boy says!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: got a question then

Quote Originally Posted by CodeSonic
    This project is going to be voiceovered in spanish and english and subtitled appropriatley as in the movie there are english and spanish being used. So do I have to import a separate audio track, one is engish voiceovers and one is spanish? and would this mean I would also have to make them in stereo and 5.1 format having to import 4 audio files in all? just seems like a lot of work.....
    My best guess for this is to do the following. Give the viewer two buttons in the menu (Spanish and English versions)

In the media properties of each, select the same video but different audio tracks. Like this the DVD will automatically select the correct one to play. Thats assuming you have recorded two different soundtracks.
    You will be able to create different subtitles in each stream too.

Problem solved.

I have not used architect for a while now but to do what u wanna do you simply need to place 2 audio tracks in the timeline - one over the other, name one english and the other spanish.

Thge result is that when u hit the audio button on the remote it will switch between the 2 audio tracks. Both audio tracks MUST be EXACTLY the same length.

If I get time later I'll open it up and try to be more specific.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark
    I have not used architect for a while now but to do what u wanna do you simply need to place 2 audio tracks in the timeline - one over the other, name one english and the other spanish.

Thge result is that when u hit the audio button on the remote it will switch between the 2 audio tracks. Both audio tracks MUST be EXACTLY the same length.

If I get time later I'll open it up and try to be more specific.
    See. I told you he knew everything.

ok thanks a lot guys.