Thread: scale to safe margins

Default scale to safe margins

i edited some footage and spent hours fooling around adding titles music etc only to find my tv cuts a large percentage of the picture out.
    i then noticed safe margins and realise i should have worked out the exact size of these not the standard 720 x 500whatever but smaller so as to be able to see what i am producing. this would have been easier in the beginning to set properties /scale to and set a size but i didnt and now i have 4 sequences of clips at the wrong size.
    i have put all my titles on one video track and put them in the right position but want to know the quickest /easiest way to scale down the video clips. does anyone know the size of the smallest safe margin in prem pro 7?
    cheers
    one day we will all be dead

Blog Entries

Conventional method is to ignore safe areas except for titles. Simply place the titles within the safe area as displayed in the Preview window. You do not need to scale the video, just make sure the safe area markers are on and the titles within these white borders.

cheers for reply marc but on a couple of shots the tip of my penis just comes into shot for comedy effect - sick i admit but this is lost on my tv.
    too much is lost ie tops of peoples heads and when i panned in to just fit in a shipwreck this again has the ends missing.
    if i wanted to reduce the size how would you suggest i do it?

Blog Entries

You must have a tiny...

Anyway, you're losing a lot of the picture. The risk you take by "zooming in" is that you'll get a black border on a TV with a less severe overscan.

To zooom out, go into the effects controls with the clip selected, then open up motion and reduce the scale to less than 100.

i have approx 50 clips on each of 4 sequences and if i do them one by one and render them it will take ages maybe an hour of longer. if i try and multiple select it says no clip selected. nay ideas how to do block conversion?

when you scale all imported clips to projects default setting in properties they adjust in no time at all and i will do this in future
    it works out 85 percent to allow a tiny fraction for overscan.

Blog Entries

I sounds to me as if your imported video is not to the specifications of your project settings. You really shouldn't be seeing such a high loss of the frame. What is the source of your video and what are your project settings?

To apply effects to multiple clips, create a new timeline and drop the old timeline on the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    You must have a tiny...
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I sounds to me as if your imported video is not to the specifications of your project settings. You really shouldn't be seeing such a high loss of the frame. What is the source of your video and what are your project settings?

To apply effects to multiple clips, create a new timeline and drop the old timeline on the new one.
    its bog standard dv footage and default project settings of 720 by 576 or whatever and its only the overscan on my tv that messes things up. it gets worse if i go to other widescreen options. the smallest picture i get cuts off to around 83-85 % almost coinciding with the safe margins.
    i am gonna burn 2 tracks to dvd one at 100% and one at 85% so when i get another tv that maybe has less cut off i wont have to stare at black borders. ive seen you recommend dropping the timeline before but cant find a way to do this. i can create new sequence but cant drag old one on it either.
    please help!!!

Blog Entries

What version of Premiere do you have?

its version 7 prem pro

also i import audio and use the audio from my dv footage and if i leave the levels alone it crackles only on dvd but not in prem pro whilst editing and playing back
    i have to mess around with the levels and guess a level that wont distort on dvd if u get my drift
    cheers

edit/update - i was trying to drag sequences from timeline to timeline for some reason not thinking to do what i had been doing prob a hundred times and drag from project window to timeline so i have acheived nesting.
    also the audio problem - i just used audio mixer and reduced the master to avoid clipping or going into the red.
    i am gonna play around with dynamics effect as a lot of my footage has background wind (not flatulence) so i can see another topic being started soon unless i find what i want in a search or stumble across the solution.
    marc can u answer this post of mine too seen as though you seem to have your finger on the pulse?
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtop...6f9f86ff599230

cheers
    al