Thread: Altering the audio volume of a single clip - how to?

Default Altering the audio volume of a single clip - how to?

Hey there,

Iīm editing a DVD on my road trip to Norway this summer and Iīve run into a problem with changing the volume of the audio of a single clip.

Letsīs say thereīs two clips after each other and Iīd like to change the volume of, say, audio 1 on the latter. I found the Audio Mixer via the help file, and think I learnt how to get started with it, but thereīs still something I donīt understand. If I click on the latter clip and then lower itīs audio volume on audio 1 with the Audio Mixer, the audio 1 of my whole sequence gets lowered!

Is there any way I can control the audio volume of an audio track of a single clip?

The Help library tells me the following:

1. Expand the track's view by clicking the triangle next to the audio track name.
    2. Click the Show Keyframes button Show Keyframes button , and choose Show Clip Keyframes or Show Track Keyframes from the menu that appears.
    3. Do one of the following to edit the time graph for the audio's level:
    * To edit a clip's audio level, choose Volume:Level from the keyframe pop-up menu after the clip name. Be sure that you're editing the correct clip on the track.
    4. Add or edit keyframes. For a uniform level setting, add just one keyframe to the time graph.

I can do as far as number three, but I donīt have a clue what number four is all about :( What does it mean to edit keyframes? That "weird stuff" in Effect Controls where you can move those dots horizontally?

Iīd really appreciate if anyone could explain me one of the many ways to, or simply tell me in one or two steps how to, control the volume levels! Cheers

Iīd also like to thank "Marc Peters" and "Llameante" for their help with my previous problem with slideshows. Thanks guys, I benefit from your tips every week.

If I get what your saying, you'll need two keyframes right at the start, to take your volume from normal to low (or wherever you're setting it) then two at the end to take it from low back to normal. It's been a while since I've done it so hopefully someone will explain it better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWimp
    If I get what your saying, you'll need two keyframes right at the start, to take your volume from normal to low (or wherever you're setting it) then two at the end to take it from low back to normal. It's been a while since I've done it so hopefully someone will explain it better than me.
    Hmm, ok. so I canīt do it by using only the Audio Mixer?

Blog Entries

A guide I posted to a recent poster: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews...2_articleid/94

Yep, that was definitely more helpful.

Im not sure if its the correct way to do it, but I often use the gain to reduce the volume of a clip... (right click on the clip and audio gain in prem pro)

Simple way i do it is to select the track in the timeline of the movie, on the monitor window choose effects control and then expand the volume so the volume slider is showing. I then play the movie and slide the volume up and down as its playing and the volume changes i make are automatically saved. Might not be the right way to do it but its the easiest
    AMD Athlon XP2800
    1024Mb\'s DDR 400 Memory
    2 x 80GB Hard Drives Set up as RAID 0 (Striping)
    128Mb Radeon 9700 Pro
    16x DVD-Rom, 16x DVD-RW, 52x CD-RW
    19\" TFT
    Di Nova Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard + Mouse
    Sonic Fury 5 Channel Sound Card
    Leadtek Winfast TV2000 Expert TV/FM Tuner Card
    Kodak DVC325 WebCam

Thanks to all for helping! Sure know how to alter the volume now.