Thread: help please

Default help please

can anyone help pleeeease. I am new to the subject and i am editing a 32 min video. The resulting .AVI file is 7.6gb. ANy help on how to compress it to fit on a dvd.
    Thanks in advance . P.S i am using vegas 4

Use a good commercial video maker/editor/encoder program and your problem will go away.

The size of your final avi is enormous and suggest an absence of compression or encoding.

Ulead Movie Maker, Movie Studios, Pinnacle Studio 8, Sony Vega, Adobe Premier 6.0, 6.5 and Pro are all excellenmt examples, but there are others.

Play and learn

Christian

I use an excellent couple of programs to do this with large videos - I have MainConcepts MPEG Encoder first of all, this is important to convert your AVI into a compliant DVD MPEG. This will compress the size to begin with, maybe under 4.7GB. However, if not then there is another thing you can use.

Firstly, what do you use to author DVD's? I use Adobe Encore DVD and its great. You will need to create the whole DVD files first, creating the necessary .IFO .VOB and .BUP files. (obviously these are too big to fit on the DVD so do not attempt to burn)

Next, get DVD Shrink (google it and you will find it) and follow the instructions with it to open the DVD you just created. This program is used to shrink the DVD9 standards (about 8GB movies you buy) to fit onto a 4.7GB disc. So if I ever create a DVD too large, I use this to shrink it down, with very good results.

PS http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ is an excellent resource for DVD authoring!

Lee

98Iwatso,

Mainconcept works for me as well. Often when Tmpeg fails. Between the 2 I can always produce an encoded result. I have never really found out why one will fail ove the other, but I suspect it is to do with the audio relating to format, bitrate etec. Do you have any thoughts?

Do you know of another encoder in the same class as "Mainconcept" or "Tmpeg"?

I have a copy of Adobe Encore, but find it too complicated. I prefer "Mediachance" DVDLab. Everybody to their own, but DVDLab does give you the option of creating a dummy DVD to your hard drive to test it first before a burn. This can save a large number of wasted DVDs (Iknow!)

DVD Shink is great particularly v 3.1.6 and it is free. Used in conjunction with Nero 6+ copying DVDs is a reliable and easy

Have fun

Chrisitian

I have only used TMPGEnc a few times, as I'm not really partial to the interface, and I've actually had more problems with it that MainConcepts. I guess any problems are ultimately to do with the input files you're using. AVI is really a container for the AV information and there are a huge range of codecs out there.

I guess MainConcept accepts files more often because it uses DirectDraw for AVI's which means if WMP can read it, MC is likely to be able to aswell.

Though I do not know thi innards of TMPGEnc, I can only guess!

I've only just downloaded the newest DVD Shrink, from 2.3! So I am looking forward to using it and seeing how it holds out.