Thread: DVD and AVI Source File

1. Default DVD and AVI Source File

I did try and generate a VCD, but did not play on my DVD player.

I have now ordered a DVD Writer.

But I was wondering 'Is it possible to generate a DVD of the video, but also add the AVI file that was streamed in from the camcorder also.'

Note I am using Adobe Premier for the editing.

Many thanks,

If I understand you correctly you want to add the source avi file to the finished DVD as a file on the disc?...

Given that the dvd (unless dual layer) will only hold 4.7gb its very unlikeley you'll fit your finished dvd and the source avi on one disc...

im intrigued why you would want to do this?...other than for backup purposes, I suppose that would be quite useful.

3. Default Final Version And Raw Data

I have been messing about with Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premier and with some software that came with my Sony Camcorder.

I just want to streamline the process; but just in case I need to redo the DVD I would like the source data available (on the DVD if possible).

Default Re: Final Version And Raw Data

Quote Originally Posted by graham099
    I just want to streamline the process; but just in case I need to redo the DVD I would like the source data available (on the DVD if possible).
    CMS_edit is right:
    Given that the dvd (unless dual layer) will only hold 4.7gb its very unlikeley you'll fit your finished dvd and the source avi on one disc...
    what id do is, save the source file as avi in a dvdr separate from my finished dvd movie. Or just leave the source avi file in my hardrive until im satisfied with my finished dvd.

Default Deleting avi source files from my hdd

Con,

Could you help a stupid first time poster please?

You have very nearly answered my reason for registering on this forum in the first place with your advice so far but moving forward one step could you explain how I delete the avi source files from my hdd please. I have edited this footage and burnt to DVD and as I intend to keep the mini-dv tape I have no reason to keep the large source files on my hdd.

I am using Adobe Premier Elements software.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Flathead, navigate to the folder you created on your hard drive for your project using plain old windows explorer. There you will find the avi file that was created when you captured from your cam. Right click then delete.

JT,

Thanks for the advice.

I managed to find the individual files (1 file per clip captured) by using Explorer to search my hard drive but instead of searching for avi files I noticed that the title of my project was saved as a prel file for some reason so I searched for those files instead.

Once WE had found the files I did as you said and released over 20 Gb of hard disk space.

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.

Flathead

Adobe Encore does this if you still need to

* this wont work for anything but a small project*

when you create a new projecct it creates a workspace with 4 Tabs - Project/Menus/Timelines/Disc

Choose the 'Disc' Tab

Under 'DVD-ROM Content, you can point to the source directory and you are golden - It will write the source .AVI's (or whatever) to your disc

remember that you have to have all your source files in a seperate directory for this to be useful
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Default Re: Deleting avi source files from my hdd

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead
    Con,

.....Could you help a stupid first time poster please?

....how I delete the avi source files from my hdd please. I have edited this footage and burnt to DVD and as I intend to keep the mini-dv tape I have no reason to keep the large source files on my hdd.

I am using Adobe Premier Elements software.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Im not sure a first time poster who has actually used and happily completed an edit in APE is "stupid" : give yourself more credit!
    I see your original question has been answered. However there is the option of saving your edit to tape in case your fantastic masterpiece DVD gets lost, missing ,scratched,. Gettting a new one will simply be a matter of recapturing the edited version as archived and burning to dvd without repeating all that hard work
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead
    Once WE had found the files I did as you said and released over 20 Gb of hard disk space.
    Remember to empty your trash can as well.