Thread: Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine...

Default Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine...

I'm not sure I can begin to explain last night's problem, so I'm not hopeful of any illuminating answers - but I know that if there's an illuminating answer to be had, I'll get it here. So...

Took about five minutes of footage yesterday (my daughter went up to Oxford - brag, brag... ) and sat down yesterday evening to rearrange it. For some reason, every time I inserted any kind of dissolve transition (I didn't try any others) it would pick up - after the dissolve - a couple of frames from somewhere else in the footage before going to the 'correct' sequence. The only fix I could find that would work was to insert black video between each sequence and then 'dip to black' either side of it.

I'd guess - I'm not in front of the system right now - that the incorrect frames were those that originally preceded (before I cut everything up and resequenced it) the sequence - yet my original edit/cut was frame perfect.

What I didn't have time to do was to render the piece, see if the unwanted frames went away - whether they were just a function of working on the timeline.

That said, I've never had this problem before. I'm also wondering whether it's anything to do with the fact that I had to reinstall Premiere Pro after reinstalling WXP - whether there's some setting that I've forgotten about.

Any clues, guys?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Try playing around with the length of your transitions. I'm sure I read about this recently somewhere. If the transition doesn't have enough frames to play with it starts playing funny buggers. I've only got limited knowledge on this so sorry if I send you up a blind alley.

Blog Entries

Defrag your drives.

JT, thanks. I'll take a look at that, as, IIRC, in my original version of Premiere - before I had to reinstall - I'd definitely messed with the default length.

Marc: done recently, just checked, Windows says don't need to do it again. But I'm interested why you'd suggest that?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

I'll take a stab at this - as I have had the same problem..

when you add a transition premiere begins the transition a few frames (I believe 3) from the end of the first cut and fades into 5-6 frames of of the following cut.

you should know that priemiere just hooks pointers into the source file and doesn't make actual copies of the video as per your 'cut'

so - as you are only working with 5 minuites of video and are probably trying to squeeze every possible second of precious runtime into your final product... and are cutting right to the exact frame where you hit the 'unpause' button.

try advancing 4-6 frames into the beginning of the second cut (most common fix) or 1-3 frames back into the end of your preceeding cut (second most common fix), or a combination of the two

You may lose an overall second or two of runtime but your transitions should be silky smooth.

enjoy

/edit

hmm that looked confusing to me as I reread it so perhaps a picture or two..

original capture (each symbol represents the frames between pauses, each '|' represents where you hit pause)

|1111111111|2222222222|3333333333|4444444444|

so you have an original capture with 4 scenes (10 frames each) - you set your inpoint at the first '1' and your outpoint at the 10th '1' and copy it to the timeline, then repeat exactly for the other three scenes - then you try to transition between scene 1 and scene 2 - if you place the transition at the dividing point you will get (the 'T' is the rendered transition frames)

|1111111111|112222222222|3333333333|4444444444|
    ...............TTTTTT

so.. if you mixed the scenes up you might see

|1111111111|334444444444|223333333333|334444444444 |
    ...............TTTTTT...............TTTTTT........ .......TTTTTT

although you 'cut' to the exact frame - the transition effect actually uses a couple of frames prior and after where you marked your in or out point.

hope i'm not confusing you..
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

That sounds very promising Crk - I'll give it a whirl. Many thanks.