Thread: Sony handycam HC20E

Default Sony handycam HC20E

I want to convert old VCR tapes via my video player to dvd's on my PC.
    I have been told that you can use your HC20E as an analogue to digital converter.
    How do i set this up using my HC20E handycam as a digital link between the PC and the VCR.
    I have Pinnacle studio 9 already but cannot configure capture to burn directly onto DVD.
    Any idea's out there??? :(

East Kilbride, Scotland

When I have to do this I simply transfer the video to MiniDV. Your camcorder supports AV-IN. So connect your VCR to the CAM using the manufactureres instructions and record that way. You could also try connecting the VCR to the AV JAcks of your camera, and simultaneously connect the firwire (Sony call it i.LINK) then try capturing without recording to tape.

I don't have Pinnacle myself, but set the software to capture in lossless AVI, then alter your project/burning settings for DVD COmplaint MPEG2.

If you are uncertain how to achive this in Pinnacle then post back in the Pinnacle board of these Forums, and I am sure someone will pick it up.

Meantime good luck
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Hi purejammy,
    I have done what you suggested but my HC20E doesn't seem to recognize i want to use it to transfer the signal from the VCR to my PC.
    Any ideas as to a forum or do you know of an expert that can help - the Sony manual that came with the camera is not much help on this matter.