Thread: CAMCORDER HEAD CLEANING

Default CAMCORDER HEAD CLEANING

I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED CANON XM1-PAL CAMCORDER. I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HEAD CLEANING.HOW LONG AND HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RUN THE HEAD CLEANER THROUGH THE CAMERA? </P>

Blog Entries

When you say problems with head cleaning, what do you mean, exactly?

I KEEP GETTING MOSAIC NOISE LINES DURING PLAYBACK

Sinbad,

You should only run the tape once for about 10 to 15 seconds, it should say on the packaging. Also never rewind the tape until it reaches the very end and log everytime you use it. Depending on camera use it could be a few times per month down to only once a month. Have you tried recording onto other brands of tape or played back the tapes in another camera? I had similar problems when I got my Pany and I did the tape cleaning thing and changed to a different tape manufacturer.

From what I've seen, you run the cleaning tape through the mechanism for 15-20 seconds, then check to see if the problem has gone away. You can do this a maximum of three times in succession (as Nikosony says, don't rewind the cleaning tape till it gets to the end): if the problem isn't fixed after three times, the heads probably need repair. I believe it's recommended to do it for every 50 hours of record/playback. Also as Nikosony says, it can be worth trying with different tapes - that worked for me in an emergency.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Default THANKS

THANK TO ALL WHO HAVE SENT REPLYS
    I WILL TRY THEM OUT
    ONCE AGAIN THANKS

what does head cleaning actually improve?

Pt: if I understand correctly, the passage of the tape over the heads creates a very small amount of friction which means tiny particles of tape end up on the heads. Over time, this builds up to the point where the heads can no longer accurately transfer picture information in either direction. The problems Sinbad describes are typical: picture break up in various forms: he talks about 'mosaicing', I've experienced banding where every other band is what you just recorded, and every other other band is what you've recorded over. It's probably worth doing it every 50 hours or so (look at your camera manual) if only so that what happened to me - trying to record a one-off occasion and finding you can't because your heads are dirty - doesn't happen to you.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Default Re-head cleaning

BEWARE-BE VERY AWARE!
    Hi, im new to the forums, but have this very good peice of confusing advice.
    I have a Panasonic NV MX 8A digital V. camera. It cost me well over 3 grand and about another $800 in accessories for this about 2 years ago. I have had nothing but touble with 'heads!' as such. Like first the pixels during playback, and then a completely black screen upon playback. Firstly...we all should follow manuals but, if that were the case, we should be throwing the head cleaning tape out after every few try's, as this would be reputting messy stuff back on to the heads, and they say not to use it more than a few times, cos it is abrasive. Also they recommend using the same brand tape as the camera, making it hard because if you buy another brand of recording tapes, they dont mix, and create problems. Mixing tapes can be real bad, as they have different types of films and chemical mix creating head problems, so mixing tapes is not recommned. I have done lots of research and found panasonic had the worst reliability for tapes, and more expensive. I have had the heads cleaned twice now, and the manufactuerers warranty does not cover head cleaning. Costing about $200. If ur head cleaning tape doesnt fix the prob, u have to proffessioanlly clean them, and now as i speak i am getting the cylinder heads replaced, as they are damaged and worn and dirty. Costing me around $500-$700+!! And im not guaranteed that it wont happen again espeically after putting the other tapes back in. I was told u could use the tapes over and over thus this seems not the case, if the ribbon is infected. I did look at buying a hard drive camera, thus not needing a tape and things, but due to lackof money ATM have put this off. Not a happy camper, cos i have only used this cam about 11 times, since i bought it...:(

I used a hard disk camcorder recently and it had its plus and minus points. You get seven hours recording at the highest quality, there are no tapes or rewinding or fast forwarding to do. Most importantly the worries about head wear and head cleaning are not relevant. On the negative side there is a very noticable delay between one scene ending and the next scene starting. The format is MPEG and doesn't cut it compared to Mini DV so hopefully those kind of problems will be ironed out.