Thread: Capturing Premiere elements.

Default Capturing Premiere elements.

I am finding it difficult to explain my problem as I just cannot understand what is happening. I have used the prog.before with the same camcorder and firewire.
    I am now finding that when I capture the video,all seems ok until I go to the folder on the HDD where it is saved. There I find the usual premiere Icon BUT also a "windows movie maker file "for every scene.
    I cannot understand what windows "Movie maker" has to do with adobe Premiere.
    Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong.It all seems very strange. Thanks.J

Sounds to me as though you (or your system) have set Windows Movie Maker to be the default Application for opening AVI files.

If you want to change it to something else (Like Media Player, or Elements) do the following,

1. From windows locate one of your movie files.

2. Right click and select Properties (note the Opens with: value)

3. Click the Change button and select the Program of your choice from the resultant list.

4. Click OK

5. Enjoy

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Thank you very much for trying to help. I did as you suggested and changed the "open with" for there pictures from Movie maker to premiere. but all that did was to change files from Movie maker icons to actual pictures.So that is not the answer I am corry to say.
    I will try and explain further what is now happening.
    I capture the video into my second HDD,in a folder names Adobe captured movies. When I finish capturing in the Media Window in premiere ,there is as you know a picture for every scene change. It is these pictures that are now showing individually in the folder where the video was saved.They were shown as movie maker files with the M>M icon ,now that I have changed the "Open with" they are shown as actual pictures.
    So I have the captured movie file with all these pictures. If I delete them,then the captured movie is corrupt.
    I will try and send a screen shot so that perhaps it will make the problem clearer. J
    I cannot find out if I can attach an image. so the screen shot is not included.[/img][/list]

Hi Ribomac

Let me see if I've got this straight. Are u saying that instead of having one video file like before you are now getting multiple files?

Blog Entries

Then it sounds like Mr Jammy was indeed correct.

I would suggest that Premiere Elements is using scene detection to split your video into multiple files. Do you have multiple files within your project too?

I would then suggest the "pictures" you see are thumbnails of the video - i.e the first frame of the video is displayed so you can see what the video file is. If you right clicked, select open with and then Windows Movie Player, the should play fine. If you delete them then you won't be able to use them in Adobe Premiere.

This seems to be getting very complicated.I appreciate the help so far.
    Can I just ask one question.-- Can someone who uses Adobe Premiere Elements tell me what they see in the folder (the one that premiere saved the movie into) after they have captured a video.
    Is it (1) one named file ,which when clicked,opens the prog. or(2) one named file PLUS thumbnails of every scene change.
    That is really all I want to know. Thanks. j

Blog Entries

I think you're misunderstanding how Premiere works. The workflow goes like this:

1) Create and save new project
    2) Capture video. If you have scene detection selected, your video will automaitcally be split into multiple files. These will then show in the project windows and be saved to the destination folder in your project settings
    3) Drag video from the project window to the timeline and edit
    4) Export video

At no stage will you ever be required to view the captured video files outside of Premiere. Everything is done inside of Premiere. To open up the project, you should be opening up the Premiere Project file, not the captured video.

Thank you for that explantion.
    Can you please tell me if the thumbnails of the split video, that show in the media palette, are also seen in the folder where you have saved your captured video. ?
    This is really all I want to know. I am sorry for being so persistent.I hope I have explained my question. Thank you again for your help. J