Thread: I'm a moron. Forgive me.

Default I'm a moron. Forgive me.

I'm new to this whole thing. I tried following your guide, and as simple as it seems, believe it or not I couldn't follow it. Thats the reason for the topic of the thread. I have no clue about anything to do with camcorders.

I just wanted to know what a dv camcorder actually is. Is there a little disc inside the camcorder that you can take out? You see, I saw an advert for some Sony camcorder and it said 'Record and watch: make your own dvds' (or something to that effect) and it had a small dvd-esque disc sticking out of the side. It looked as if you could simply record and then watch on a dvd player instantly. Is that true or am I just a moron? If you think the latter do you mind not actually using the word Moron, i'm very sensitive.

Also, how much does an average DVD burner/writer/whatever you call them cost?

I will probably have lots more stupid questions over the coming months so please bare with me, and remember...I'm a moron.

what a dv camcorder actually is
    It's just a normal video camera that doesn't use VHS or Hi8 tapes but uses mini DV tape to record video in a digital format.

DVD ReWriters cost anywhere from about 60 to 180.

Blog Entries

No, you're not a Moron . The latest craze in the camcorder world is to record straight to MPEG2 on DVD. This great for those not wanting to edit, not so ideal for those that want to delve into the murky waters of PC video editing (it's just more of a hassle to edit).

And what's the ingenious name for these camcorders? why DVD Camcorders, of course

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...44847?v=glance

I have one of those Sony DCRDVD200 camcorders and I must say as the owner of various other ones from VHS to Mini DV, it is the best I have ever had. It is convenient, the quality is sufficient (1M pixels) and you can edit it on your PC if that's what you want.
    They are pricy but if you look around, you can get some bargains. They use DVD-RW as well as -R disks so there are some saving there. It transfers using USB 2.0 rather than Firewire but reasonably speedy enough.
    Once I have had my holiday in the States in April where I intend to give it a hammering, I'll be in more of a position to assess how good it really is.
    Doug

Blog Entries

My only hesitation would be that editing MPEG2 proves more difficult than DV (due to the compression method used in MPEG2). But if you're not planning on much editing beyond adding a few transitions (or not editing at all!), then I would pressume it's perfect!

Agree Marc, I want to do as little video editing as possible, I just need to produce a reasonable DVD to watch. Can't wait!
    Doug

[quote="Marc Peters"]My only hesitation would be that editing MPEG2 proves more difficult than DV (due to the compression method used in MPEG2).

please enlighten me on this. what would be the difficulty in editing?

the reason i ask is because i'm shopping for a camera. i've been looking at the miniDV models but saw a hitachi DVDcamcorder which looks like a very interesting proposition. btw would you know if these cameras can use DVD+RWs?

my editing isn't too complex, just stringing together work of my clients for their demo reels, obb and cbb, maybe an mtv style edit, thats it

I would look carefully at the Hitachi DVDCamcorder because if you read reviews on Amazon.com, many people have had problems when transferring video to a PC because you do not get a connectivity kit with it. Also these will write to DVD-R and DVD-RAM disks, not DVD+RW.
    I would suggest having a good look at reviews, do a Google search, there are plenty about.
    I have the Sony equivalent which does come with a connection cable but I have not had a real chance to try it out yet. I will do that in the USA next month.
    Perhaps Marc could add some meat to his statement about MPEG2 difficulty, I am obviously interested.
    Doug

Blog Entries

Editing MPEG is a pain due to the compression algorithm used. Put extremely simply, not all information from each frame of video is used. If there's information repeated in a adjoining frames, the repeated info is discarded. To this end, you can't get frame accurate editing and I end up rendering the video first to make things go more smoothly. A complete pain avoided by shooting in DV.

Of course, if you're just dumping your footage on a DVD, this isn't a problem. But if, like me, the video editing aspect appeals, you'll want to opt for a more "editable" format - at the very least DV!