Thread: DV-AVI capture; poor audio

Default DV-AVI capture; poor audio

I've been looking thru the posts hoping to find my answer, but I haven't found it yet. So I figured I will post it. I have a JVC minidv/firewire/ and 4 different software programs. I am capturing the dv-avi without any encoding. When I play the avi, no matter what software I use, I get the same result; terrible choppy audio. In Microsoft MovieMaker2, if I cut the audio track from the video, and play just the audio, it sounds fine. When I play it with the video, it is terrible.
    I saw someone posted a similar problem and they said it turned out to be their sound card. Could it be something as simple as the sound card, or the codecs I am using to play the avi.
    I have a pentium 4/512 m Rambus/ and plenty of hard drive space. I will admit, the sound card is the only thing I didn't spend money on, because I basically use the machine for work. If it is the sound card, will that effect the final burn to a dvd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like dropped frames. Are you caputuring to the system drive or a dedicated video drive? Would be worth checking to see if the drive needs defragged.

I will check, but the funny thing is, if I play just the audio track in MovieMake2 it sounds fine. When I play the avi file with video and sound; I get choppy audio. I've also used 4 different program to capture the avi and I get the same result. I am wondering if it is just my avi codecs or the sound card.

What programmes are you using to capture? What are the capture settings? Is the sound (when played with the video) fragmented consitently at the same point, regardless of the capture tool? If the answer to the last question is no, then it definitely sounds (forgive the pun) like dropped frames.

There may be others on the forum though that can advise differently.

May also be worth playing the video with and without sound. Are there any unexpected visual jumps? If the answer to this is yes, no matter how slight the jump, then that also points to dropped frames.

Good luck!

What programmes are you using to capture? What are the capture settings? Is the sound (when played with the video) fragmented consitently at the same point, regardless of the capture tool? If the answer to the last question is no, then it definitely sounds (forgive the pun) like dropped frames.

There may be others on the forum though that can advise differently.

May also be worth playing the video with and without sound. Are there any unexpected visual jumps? If the answer to this is yes, no matter how slight the jump, then that also points to dropped frames.

Good luck!

thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I've tried MovieMake2, Pinnicle Express, Arc Soft (came with Dvd Burner), and Easy Cd Creator 6. Same result everytime. How do I remove the audio track from the video? I really don't have any settings when capturing because I am capturing the DV-AVI. In all 4, it really doesn't have any settings for a dump of the DV-AVI. Somebody suggested cutting the audio track from the video and then merging them back together, but I can't figure out how to cut the audio track out from the video. In MovieMaker2 I can cut the audio and play it by itself, but how do I save the video without the audio. Thanks again.

The only software I know (of the ones you have mentioned) is Windows Movie Maker. In the Clip Menu selct 'Audio' then 'Mute'. To be honest the only reason I mentioned it was to concentrate on what the video was doing (this is easier without sound) to establish if there were any jumps.

It is rather puzzling that the audiois OK on its own.

I've read a couple of new things on hardware acceleration; can cause problems. I haven't tried it yet. It makes no sense to me because if I convert the avi to a wmv, it looks great. But when I play the avi, it is horrible.

just a quick update; I copied an avi captured onto another machine and it played fine. No choppiness or breaking video. Does anyone know what would cause the poor play of the avi on my main pc? Could it be the avi codecs on my machine? Could it be the sound card, I have onboard sound? Could it be another installed program? Finally, will this effect the conversion to MPEG-2? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.