Thread: complete nOOb

Default complete nOOb

Hello all.

I noticed in someones signature, shame on me forgetting their name, it said dont bother looking anywhere else for DV stuff. For a stranger to read that, well I guess you guys and gals already know this, "this seems a friendly place."

Anyhow, hopefully I've flattered enough of you out their in Tinterent land to offer me some advice and help.

Here is my posistion, I have a boring job and need some new direction, i've got a rough history in computers and art. Survey says, maybe you should do something that combines them?

I have a bog standard JVC DV camera with a firewire card, I thought for sound some mics and a miniDisc player along with websites that sell various sound files. I have a couple of ideas floating around for projects, some storyboards (still in my head) worked out at the bus stop. Lots of books and magazines on editing and filmmaking. I started with some footage of the cat I guess my next question is lighting. I am going to make my own lights with brooms and lightbulbs. Now, is my thought process going in the right direction? Simple really, just wanted to know if it looks like i'm making any rookie mistakes? I think the lighting is going to be an art initself but I am looking forward to all of it.

A quick note I guess to say Hi to all.

Don't skimp on the lights. Get 'real' ones. The "Blue Peter" versions it sound like you are going to make will cause you grief even in the short term. The colour balance will not only be wrong, they will not even be the same between bulb on different stands. This will cause you a nightmare in post production trying to 'fix' the colour grade.

My advice. Just don't do it. Get real video/movie lights or nothing.

if u dont want to go out and spend buy thoose cheat desk lamp (halogen) sumin like that

Thanks for the replies. So I'm thinking the purer the light the better, leaning towards whiter light. Would it make a posssible to shoot if all the bulbs were the same, then the colour would be the same, assuming all the shots were indoors? Proper lights would be used outside as well from the front i guess. Does the bulb in the backlight have to be a proper one or do you manage the front ones to hide that light?

As far as software goes, I reckon I am pretty good at picking up software but realise that this is going to be long-longterm. Would it be better for me start off with MovieMaker or go straight to Adobe or Avid?

I realise most of my questions show I havn't really tried anything yet, I am currently unable to get enough time on the equipment :-( Most of this is basic research so I'm in good stead for when I start.

Hope you can help.

I wouldn’t get too involved in lights just yet. It’s a subject in itself. (And non-photographic lamps often give out different colour temp, but the human eye adjusts for this - the camera won't.) Get used to shooting daylight pieces, so you know how the cam behaves, and can see its limitations.

You can film in well-lit interiors most of the time. I’d say start using your cam, then do some basic edits - as you progress, ideas will suggest themselves.

Bit of a voyage of discovery. You’ll become pretty good at it in a short time. Have fun, and, of course, keep contributing to this forum.

Excellent, thanks for all your help.

At least I know I am headed in the right direction.

Oh, i'll keep posting here as well

Hi Lemonskev

As the other contributers have said, stick with the basics for the moment and let us know how you get on. Find out what the controls on your camera do, shoot some simple scenes and become familiar with holding the camera correctly and steadily. Later on if you want to do an 'arty' piece you can do things like the Dutch Tilt and change viewpoints for high angles to low angles. The basic concept is your are telling a story to the audience using images and sounds and using various techniques you can bring your 'ideas' to the screen.