Thread: No help :-)

Default No help :-)

Fired up Premiere last night, and was told that the authentication was no longer valid, and that I needed to reinstall. This was probably something to do with the fact that I had to reinstall Windows a week or so back, and I'd guess it messed up the relevant registry entry. Anyway, despite now having tried the reinstallation twice, I now have a Premiere system that, every time you click on 'Help' tells you it has a serious error and needs to close - which it promptly does. Has anyone else ever experienced that phenomenon - and fixed it? The only thing I can think of is that, between the last time I used Premiere and this, I've installed Norton Ghost, together with Microsoft's .net (required by Ghost) and I'm wondering if there's some weird conflict. Or, of course, it may be a red herring. Your thoughts much appreciated.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

I've heard of problem with Adobe's help systems before. I can't remember if it's an XP thing or just SP2. I've not knowingly had any troubles though.

Can anyone else remember anymore.

Ian, try Adobe's knowledgebase. They might have some postings on the problem.

Thanks Alan. I've tried the Adobe knowledge base and, thus far, without luck. It seems the error message I'm getting is pretty much a Premiere Pro/Elephants standard error message they use when things go badly tits up for whatever reason. It's not SP2, that I do know - as I haven't installed it (too many horror stories). I've googled on 'Premiere' and 'Ghost', but no issues appear. The other thing that occurs to me - and this seems somewhat unlikely - is that the other thing I've changed about the system since last time I ran Premiere was to stick a new graphics card in it. I'll google on Radeon 9250 and Premiere, see if I can trawl up something. Otherwise, I may try my backup copy of Premiere, but the reinstallation takes so bloody long...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Well, I solved the problem. I went to the Adobe user forums and - lo and behold - I wasn't alone with the problem. In fact, it seems sufficiently common that it's posted on the FAQ. The solution involves, in effect, enabling Premiere Help by editing the registry values. Weird or what? Should you ever need it, the link is:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...i.10@.2cd06265

I'm one happy bunny!

Blog Entries

You don't have SP2 installed? Don't let the horror stories scare you - it's better the devil you know!

Corporations couldn't risk a massive melt down when it was first released, so played the wait and see game. All things being equal, I suggest you install SP2 and close the security holes in your OS.

Nah, I'll install SP2 just like I do a back up - just after it's too late...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    Well, I solved the problem. I went to the Adobe user forums and - lo and behold - I wasn't alone with the problem. In fact, it seems sufficiently common that it's posted on the FAQ. The solution involves, in effect, enabling Premiere Help by editing the registry values. Weird or what? Should you ever need it, the link is:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...i.10@.2cd06265

I'm one happy bunny!
    For those of us not subscribed to Adobe (I have but can't remember my username/password offhand) tell us what actually caused the problem. i.e. was it the new graphics card or what?

Alan: it seems (see below for the full text of the FAQ entry) that there is no obvious or logical reason for this to happen (note the guy who tried the same install on four machines - some worked, some didn't). I hate not knowing why something didn't work and does now - but not as much as I hate things not working...

Here's the full text of the FAQ (note some alternative suggestions and some repetition) for the terminally-bored-at-work...

Help Menu shuts down Premiere Pro on XP

Q. When attempting to access the help menu drop down you get a dialog box that says a serious error has occured and it shuts down Premiere. Reinstalling Premiere gives the same error.

A. This often happens when there is a problem with the driver for the graphics card.

Be sure you are using the latest driver and be sure to keep XP up to date with WindowsUpdate.com (Eddie Lotter Jan 25, 2004)

Premiere Help works fine on my nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400.

When Help is launched from within Premiere, Premiere makes a call to the Windows Shell to open the Internet Explorer or maybe even your default browser. Try making sure your default browser is Internet Explorer; beyond that you may have some other OS issue (Eddie Lotter - Feb 6, 2004)

I had a registry problem. For some reason on the machines that were crashing when help was launched the following help keys were not even granted read access:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere\7.0\Hel p]
    "AdobeMediaEncoder"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_0_0_0.html"
    "Contents"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_0_0_0.html"
    "ExportToDVD"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_13_2_0.html"
    "HowToUse"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\0_0_0_0.html"
    "Keyboard"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_4_15_0.html"
    "Search"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\search.html"
    "Support"="http://www.adobe.com/support/products/premiere.html"

So on the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere\7.0\Hel p which initially looked like it was empty, I added the group "Everyone" and gave them "Read" access...the above values appeared in the Help folder and all Help functions now works on all machines...

it looks like although these keys were written to the registry during the install permissions were not set properly on 2/4 machines...not sure why it works on some machines and not others...

hope that this is of help to some of you others who were having the same problem. (pliant - Feb 6, 2004)

I installed the software on a clean WindowsXP image with admin rights...no other software was installed after installing Premiere...the help menu crashed Premiere the very first time i tried it..it never worked until i gave access to the help folder in the registry...however i did try installing it on 4 machines, 2 desktops and 2 laptops...on the laptops it worked with no problems...on the desktops both had the help menu problem. (pliant - Feb 6, 2004)

Basically, just make sure users have Read access to the following reg key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere\7.0\Hel p

For some reason on the machines that were crashing when help was launched the following help keys were not even granted READ access:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere\7.0\Hel p]
    "AdobeMediaEncoder"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_0_0_0.html"
    "Contents"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_0_0_0.html"
    "ExportToDVD"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_13_2_0.html"
    "HowToUse"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\0_0_0_0.html"
    "Keyboard"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\1_4_15_0.html"
    "Search"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Premiere Pro\\Help\\search.html"
    "Support"="http://www.adobe.com/support/products/premiere.html"

So on the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere\7.0\Hel p which initially looked like it was empty, I added the group "Everyone" and gave them "Read" access...the above values appeared in the Help folder and all Help functions now works on all machines...

it looks like although these keys were written to the registry during the install permissions were not set properly on 2/4 machines...not sure why it works on some machines and not others. (pliant - Feb 12, 2004)

That did it! I tried adding permissions for users, but that didn't work. I then added full control for everyone on all directories and subs and that did the trick. I'm not sure of the risk however. I think it was probably locked down by an XP security patch as I recall somthing about a web based help plug-in and a security patch.

When I have time, I'll probably go back a cut back permissions to what necessary.

Thanks pilant. I saw your post earlier and was going to paste it down hear for others, but I got side tracked. I'm still trying to find my way through the forum. I was experiencing trouble with the search function yesterday, but I've had no problems today. (Lance Wieland - Feb 12, 2004)

What does it mean : "add a group Everyone" ?

- Click on the Help folder
    - Click on Edit > Permissions...
    - Click the Add... button
    - type in: Everyone
    - click Ok
    - click Read > Allow checkbox
    - click Ok