Thread: Video Capture

Default Video Capture

I am about to begin transferring all of my old analog tapes to disk and am not sure which video capture hardware to use for really good quality, not neccessarily perfect quality.

I have a Nvidia FX5600 video card which supports video capture and am not sure if it is comparable in quality to dedicate capture devices.

I have looked at the Turtle beach Vide Advantage and the Canopus AVC-55.

Can anyone provide me direction on which to go with. If the quality is not appreciably different, I would stay with what I have but if it is then it is worth the purchase.

When I capture with the FX5600 video card, there is a border at the bottom which has some other video in it. Does anyone know what that is?

2. Default i got this for one of my older comps and its perfect

i got a VideOh! PCI - video converter kit for my older comp for like 50 bucks and its fuckin great, i thought i was gonna end up takin it back, i already got all my shit off tape onto the comp in mpeg 2, and ye id go with dedicated just from stories i heard and my lil experiences with my nvidia shit

hope i helped, its a product by adaptec by the way

Default Re: Video Capture

Quote Originally Posted by rge
    I have a Nvidia FX5600 video card which supports video capture and am not sure if it is comparable in quality to dedicate capture devices.

(...) If the quality is not appreciably different, I would stay with what I have but if it is then it is worth the purchase.
    It's definitely worth the purchase if you can afford it. VIVO is a joke.
    When I capture with the FX5600 video card, there is a border at the bottom which has some other video in it. Does anyone know what that is?
    Nevermind that. It's because of overscan, you can crop it out if it's that annoying but otherwise save your efforts. If your results will be seen on a TV, then that "border" will not be visible.

Default Re: i got this for one of my older comps and its perfect

Quote Originally Posted by dj no skillz
    (...) its fuckin great, (...) i already got all my shit off tape onto the comp (...) my lil experiences with my nvidia shit
    Fucking shit, dj no skillz , did you know there is only a section of this forum where language like that is allowed?
    Yeah, dude, it's called After the Watershed but fuck! I guess you're not allowed there...

Default Re: Video Capture

Quote Originally Posted by svhs

It's definitely worth the purchase if you can afford it. VIVO is a joke.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Any recommendation on which video capture device?

Any solution around $100 - $ 150 is decent enough and will ge the job done in good quality. You could get an internal board (such as the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV) or a Firewire device (like Canopus ADVC series) but don't get an USB converter, it will give you nothing but headaches. And also don't try to capture with a TV tuner.

Default Re: i got this for one of my older comps and its perfect

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Quote Originally Posted by dj no skillz
    (...) its fuckin great, (...) i already got all my shit off tape onto the comp (...) my lil experiences with my nvidia shit
    Fucking shit, dj no skillz , did you know there is only a section of this forum where language like that is allowed?
    Yeah, dude, it's called After the Watershed but fuck! I guess you're not allowed there...
    Wish i was allowed in there..to swear @ sum members lol

Hello,

Have you considered the ADS Tech DVD Express video conversion device?

[b]The pros/b]
    Its hardware based encoding design means that the conversion from analog video to mpeg2 is done inside a chip on the device, not by your computer's cpu. It also menas that while digitizing video it doesn't hog your PC's cpu nor does the resulting file need any post processing.

The cons
    The bundled Ulead editor is a big pain in the back end. If you just want to do quick edits and cut scenes out pretend that the included Ulead software is missing and install VideoReDo instead. (www.videoredo.com)

9. Default sorry

sorry