Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Video Capture

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Default Video Capture

    I am about to begin transferring all of my old analog tapes to disk and am not sure which video capture hardware to use for really good quality, not neccessarily perfect quality.

    I have a Nvidia FX5600 video card which supports video capture and am not sure if it is comparable in quality to dedicate capture devices.

    I have looked at the Turtle beach Vide Advantage and the Canopus AVC-55.

    Can anyone provide me direction on which to go with. If the quality is not appreciably different, I would stay with what I have but if it is then it is worth the purchase.

    When I capture with the FX5600 video card, there is a border at the bottom which has some other video in it. Does anyone know what that is?

  2. Default i got this for one of my older comps and its perfect

    i got a VideOh! PCI - video converter kit for my older comp for like 50 bucks and its fuckin great, i thought i was gonna end up takin it back, i already got all my shit off tape onto the comp in mpeg 2, and ye id go with dedicated just from stories i heard and my lil experiences with my nvidia shit

    hope i helped, its a product by adaptec by the way

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,612

    Default Re: Video Capture

    Quote Originally Posted by rge
    I have a Nvidia FX5600 video card which supports video capture and am not sure if it is comparable in quality to dedicate capture devices.

    I have looked at the Turtle beach Vide Advantage and the Canopus AVC-55.

    (...) If the quality is not appreciably different, I would stay with what I have but if it is then it is worth the purchase.
    It's definitely worth the purchase if you can afford it. VIVO is a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by rge
    When I capture with the FX5600 video card, there is a border at the bottom which has some other video in it. Does anyone know what that is?
    Nevermind that. It's because of overscan, you can crop it out if it's that annoying but otherwise save your efforts. If your results will be seen on a TV, then that "border" will not be visible.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,612

    Default Re: i got this for one of my older comps and its perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by dj no skillz
    (...) its fuckin great, (...) i already got all my shit off tape onto the comp (...) my lil experiences with my nvidia shit
    Fucking shit, dj no skillz , did you know there is only a section of this forum where language like that is allowed?
    Yeah, dude, it's called After the Watershed but fuck! I guess you're not allowed there...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Video Capture

    Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Quote Originally Posted by rge
    I have a Nvidia FX5600 video card which supports video capture and am not sure if it is comparable in quality to dedicate capture devices.

    I have looked at the Turtle beach Vide Advantage and the Canopus AVC-55.
    It's definitely worth the purchase if you can afford it. VIVO is a joke.
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Any recommendation on which video capture device?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Any solution around $100 - $ 150 is decent enough and will ge the job done in good quality. You could get an internal board (such as the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV) or a Firewire device (like Canopus ADVC series) but don't get an USB converter, it will give you nothing but headaches. And also don't try to capture with a TV tuner.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bladon
    Posts
    1,383

    Default Re: i got this for one of my older comps and its perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Quote Originally Posted by dj no skillz
    (...) its fuckin great, (...) i already got all my shit off tape onto the comp (...) my lil experiences with my nvidia shit
    Fucking shit, dj no skillz , did you know there is only a section of this forum where language like that is allowed?
    Yeah, dude, it's called After the Watershed but fuck! I guess you're not allowed there...
    Wish i was allowed in there..to swear @ sum members lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hello,

    Have you considered the ADS Tech DVD Express video conversion device?

    [b]The pros/b]
    Its hardware based encoding design means that the conversion from analog video to mpeg2 is done inside a chip on the device, not by your computer's cpu. It also menas that while digitizing video it doesn't hog your PC's cpu nor does the resulting file need any post processing.

    The cons
    The bundled Ulead editor is a big pain in the back end. If you just want to do quick edits and cut scenes out pretend that the included Ulead software is missing and install VideoReDo instead. (www.videoredo.com)

  9. Default sorry

    sorry

Similar Threads

  1. Video studio 8 capture without splitting video?
    By Tbarnzee in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
  2. Premier Pro Capture with ATI Rage Theater Video Capture card
    By Nolubez in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
  3. Capture Video Has Audio/Video Sync Problems
    By theroacher in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
  4. My video capture process is locked - can't capture
    By Lance2004 in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:20 AM
  5. How do i capture my pc-screen using a video-capture-card?
    By hagbard in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 12:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •