Thread: Wonky Velbon

Default Wonky Velbon

Does anyone out there have a Velbon DV 6000 tripod? I bought one recently and thought it was great at the start but one day I went to put the camera on it and proceeded to straighten it up using the onboard spirit level (conveniently hidden under the pan and tilt head - nice one Velbon). After I got the bubble in the centre I switched on the camera and looked into the viewfinder and the horizon was crooked. I thougt to myself how could this be. You do that thing were you look at the horizon just in case someone has moved it while you were switching the camera on but no the horizon was still in the same place. So the spirit level says the tripod is level but yet the view through the camera says it isn't.
    Problem no 2. Earlier today the handle to crank up the centre column parted company with the rest of the tripod. I'm beginning to see comparisons with the car the clowns drive when you go to the Circus.

How much did you pay for it?

They were selling the Velbon DV6000 for 75 quid and the Velbon DV7000 for 80 and the only difference I can see is a few extra inches in height. I'm taking it back to them on Monday as I live in a different city to where I purchased it.

weird..my velbon 30 tripod workperfuctly results=www.ld-productions.co.uk/videos.htm

Default Re: Wonky Velbon

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    Does anyone out there have a Velbon DV 6000 tripod? I bought one recently and thought it was great at the start but one day I went to put the camera on it and proceeded to straighten it up using the onboard spirit level (conveniently hidden under the pan and tilt head - nice one Velbon). After I got the bubble in the centre I switched on the camera and looked into the viewfinder and the horizon was crooked. I thougt to myself how could this be. You do that thing were you look at the horizon just in case someone has moved it while you were switching the camera on but no the horizon was still in the same place. So the spirit level says the tripod is level but yet the view through the camera says it isn't.
    Problem no 2. Earlier today the handle to crank up the centre column parted company with the rest of the tripod. I'm beginning to see comparisons with the car the clowns drive when you go to the Circus.
    ??? If the spirit level is underneath the pan and tilt head then surely you must realise it is no sign watsoever whether the camera is straight or not. All it's telling you is that the pan/tilt head is on straight, surely.

Am I missing something here?

I know, it's the strangest design I've used so far. The guy in the shop couldn't find the spirit level and it's not shown on the outside of the box either. The level is let's say on the 'top' of the tripod body and you just tilt the head forward with the long pan and tilt handle (one of the main reasons I bought it as all the other models had such short p and t handles) am I imagining it or are they getting shorter by the year??? The other models of tripod I used in the past have had the level built into the actual head, so does it make a difference? Anyway, it's gone now (after a bit of haggling - glad I kept the receipt) and I'm now using a Manfrotto (and a tube of super glue is on standby).

I will post sum pikis up later to show you as from what i can tell its like my velbon!