Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location ideas for music video

Default Location ideas for music video

Hi,

apologies to mods not sure which section to post this, feel free to move if necessary..

We've been asked to shoot a low budget music video this weekend as part of a PSP promo... any ideas for location would be good... Its for a young "rock" band...

Idea is sexy girl walking through "location" (I reckon either an empty warehouse/derelict building) finds PSP on the floor... switches it on and band start playing on screen...zoom into screen and lo and behold the band is playing in the warehouse where the girl is standing... (and the girl is in the audience with PSP...) into funky music video cutting between girl at concert in crowd then back to girl in empty warehouse...

Ive just read back through that and it makes no sense whatsoever... but the idea we're trying to get across is that watching a music video on the PSP is like being at a concert (even though its not!)

This really is a last minute, low budget project and I expect it will probably end up looking that way! We'll have a jib arm and dolly etc, along with any necessary lighting, around 30-50 extras for the audience (fans of the band) but with only 4-5 days editing I think Im going to have my work cut out trying to get it looking good!

Im really after any suggestions at all :P as I said the location is undecided It could be a park? anywhere cheap!

Also any other suggestions about particular shots/effects etc would be appreciated as this will be the first music video Ive done. In particulair any tips on the transition from girl looking at band on psp to the band playing full screen would be great... I could probably get a still solid image on the PSP then key it out and simply resize band shot to fit psp screen? might look a bit poo what do you reckon?

Thanks in advance... and sorry for the long post!

i rekon the idea of ware house is good..or with permission in a big feild.or even better...you could have the girl find the PSP on the ground next to the london eye and have the band in the eye

Warehouses, derelict, airfields, boatyards, trainstations, busterminals - anything industrial should suit.

As to cutting suggestions - Try juxtaposing shots as much as poss gaussion/directional blurs are alwasy cool. Also use those Re-Pos's in the cuts - brings things to life!!

If you don't think that you can acheive the effect of the camera going 'into' the screen in this short amount of time, you could simply zoom in on the PSP to show the video of the band playing in the warehouse, and then zoom back out to find that the girl is already in the crowd, and the band is playing in front of her.

Also, (it sounds like you've had this idea already), it would be cool to show that the music is not only realistic, but portable. She can walk through several different locations with the band playing in each. If you can manage, it would be amusing to show her on a bus/ in a subway car, and the crowd is in there with her, along with the band at the front of the bus/car. It would be hard to set this up on short notice though.

Another amusing location idea would be to have the girl in a library studying, with the music's volume on low. The crowd could all be cheering quietly, and the band could be playing quietly too. Again, hard to set up on short notice.

Any generic park or courtyard should do, though.

Good luck!

^ I like some of those...

Thanks very much guys! Some great suggestions...

We managed to get Dunsfold aerodrome booked (well one of their pikey warehouses not the Top gear studio!)

Flamingbs, thanks for that suggestion...about the zoom into screen then pull out to band... I think we'll end up doing that to be honest!

Thaks for all the suggestions, all great! Well... Its just a waiting game now until Sunday... Ill practice keying the screen on my p900 see if I get anywhere,

Thanks again!

When you're done, are you gong to post it on the net? All this discussion has got me envisioning stuff, and i'd love to see the final product
    http://www.studioxpro.com

:.: StudioX Productions :.:
    Dedicated to low-budget film-making

yeh...please

Well...

Given the budget of under 1000... and the location is 200...Hire of equipment around 450 3 camera operators @? and then me editng for a week solid... + additional costs (extras, Actress, etc) I really wouldnt hold your breath....!

Im really not feeling too confident about this one...!

Im obviously going to give %200 and will prob end up working around 12-16 hours a day on average for a week (well 4 days at 10 hours then 3 24 hourers!!!) But I honestly think its going to end up looking pretty poo... Im certainley still very much "learning the ropes" so it should be interesting to say the least...

The video is for some internal sony thing, so as soon as its been shown to them...and as long as its not TOO bad Ill post it up for you all too abuse :P

Thanks for all the advice (Especially FlamingBS and Marc!) Im sure Ill be using some of your tips!!!

Well fingers crossed...

so its not gunna be on tv then??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast