Thread: Resolve Editing Overview?

Blog Entries

Default Resolve Editing Overview?

Just throwing this out there....

I've been asked to put together a 40 minute presentation, plus 20 mins Q&A overview of Editing in Resolve.(I have already warned them that whilst I'm reaqsonably proficient in Vegas, I'm still very much finding my way with Resolve)

It will be a presentation over Zoom.
    The audience are already filmakers, experienced to varying degrees in other NLEs
    Although it may touch on colour/fusion/Fairlight, it is primarily to be about editing.
    It is an overview - not a tutorial (ie they won't need to know the keystrokes to split a clip, or even that it can be done - that would be assumed)

I'm thinking it wants to demonstrate things which may be different to other NLEs - ie things which are unusual, or perhaps not expected, particularly by people who haven't upgraded for a while.

So, if YOU were vaguely interesteed swapping to Resolve, what woyuld ouuu w to know (even better - if you have swapped, what things struck you as "different")?

As this wil be via Zoom and much of the audience has sub-optimal broadband, I'm planning to do this as a series of short videos concentrating on one aspect, which they can download and watch as we go (or even watch before), after which I'll attempt to answer any queries.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Tim

Sounds like a great idea Tim. I've been looking at Resolve but I fear I'm by now to deeply accustomed to the Adobe ecosystem personally to dare and switch. Hope it will go well and you'll have fun (or past tense in case it has already happened.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Cheers Grapes - definitely not in the past - it takes me weeks to put this sort of thing together. And then it's only veryu basic. I have to admire these folk who produce weekly or more frequent glitsy tutorialas and reviews.
    Tim

No problem!
    I always assume they just find a topic, write a little script, review it once or twice and run through it.
    I did a photography workshop once and I think I must have only spent about two nights preparing the material. Most of it was just finding nice examples and doing some refreshments for myself along the way. One thing that always helps me is to ask my self "can I explain this easier?". I usually ask myself that question when I start to feel I'm putting a lot of time into explaining what I want to explain or on the revision turn. Good luck in any case!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    "can I explain this easier?"
    That's where the time goes - trying to redice my first draft which follows my natural inclination to include every little detail, possibilitry and exception! I have to work hard NOT to to try explain everything.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    That's where the time goes - trying to redice my first draft which follows my natural inclination to include every little detail, possibilitry and exception! I have to work hard NOT to to try explain everything.
    Yep, and that's also nicer for the audience. A personal frustration I still sometimes encounter is when I watch a tutorial for something, usually quite more advanced, and the tutorial starts with "OK so I first create a sequence like this". That's not something I need in a tutorial about idk, camera tracking or roto-scoping.

I thought of another way to speed things up. Write your script, Record your voice over and then source the matching footage. It usually works much better this way than when you start talking while you're performing the actual edit.

My old brain Struggles to learn new stuff.. itís usually at the expense of loosing stuff already in there that will be over written, often the old stuff is more important/ interesting than the new stuff entering
    Iíve had resolve a bit but havenít done much (anything) with it yet.
    Let us know when your resolve zoom course goes live
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Yep, and that's also nicer for the audience. A personal frustration I still sometimes encounter is when I watch a tutorial for something, usually quite more advanced, and the tutorial starts with "OK so I first create a sequence like this". That's not something I need in a tutorial about idk, camera tracking or roto-scoping.
    Agreed - I see this so many times.
    I thought of another way to speed things up. Write your script, Record your voice over and then source the matching footage. It usually works much better this way than when you start talking while you're performing the actual edit.
    Tried that and that's the way I'd normally work for stuff with a voiceover, but struggling to do that here as there's so much. I'm writing the script but I keep wanting to throw in additional info hwhen I actually do the demo.
    I know I'm putting in too much - but - it's not meant to be a tutorial - just an overview, so people get a feel for Resolve and an idea opf what it can do.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Let us know when your resolve zoom course goes live
    You won't learn anything - you already know what you can do with Resolve!
    Tim