Thread: Old dog new tricks

Default Old dog new tricks

Long time user of Adobe Premier…recently picked up a new laptop and my version of premier (cc14) im unsure if its compatible with my new windows 10 (soon to be w11) laptop.

Anybody used/using/experienced premiere CC14 with windows 10?

Alternative is to use Da Vinci Resolve which ivce just installed and it works fine |(I actually really like it) but not sure I can be arsed with the leaning curve… even though its very similar to Premier.

You know the score … old dog, new tricks
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Hello old friend! Season's Greetings to you

I have made the move from Vegas to Resolve and it was a bit of a struggle for an old git like me. I think it was my third attempt to make the move. I simply forced myself by not installing Vegas on my PC.
    You might actually find it tougher than I did as Resolve is quite different to Vegas and it's often easier to change to something very different than get caught out by things that are nearly the same. I belive Resolve does allow you to configure it in a way that would be "familiar" to Adobe users - but I think that way lies madness. For a start all the training material/tutorials will reference incorrect keystrokes etc. si IMO you're better of learning to use Resolve keystrokes/methods from the outset.

Theres' a whole bunch of tuts out there, but IMO you can't do better than run through the official training workbook(s) on the BlackMagic site.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/...solve/training

I've done the Beginners Guide which is the basics of the whole suite aqnd have just about completed the Editors Guide which concentrates on - guess what?!

You can also take their exams to check your understanding. I aced the first, but ity was pretty basic - I might have to work on the Editors course a bit more before I feel confident enough to take the exam - that's not to say I'm not completely happy editing in Resolve - just there are so many facilities I'm not using on a regular basis. Indeed working through these courses is more a case of just something to do when i don't have other things going on. I'm quite happy with my basic understanding of Editing, Colouring (not happy with my results - but that takes time), Fusion and Fairlight (although anything more than basic audio I'm inclided to stick with Reaper for now).

I suppose what I'm saying is - yes there's potentially a hughe learning curve, but you'll get by anyway.

A few things that threw (and continue to throw) me.
    The "D" key will disable the selected clip on the timeline ("D" again to re-enable it)
    If you have in and out points selected on the timeline (easy to do if you're intending to select in and out points on the source window but haven't switched the focus) this affects where stuff gets inserted.
    The track header icons, which are clickable) are important (and still catch me out)

Can't comment on CC14 on W10 or W11, I'm afraid.
    Tim

Hi Tim, hope you are doing marvellously well. All the best to you and yours for the new year.
    Some interesting points/tips raised there. I wasn’t aware theres an official resolve course something I’ll be sure to check out.

Interesting how it took three attempts for you to finally jump ship and I can see absolutely where you are coming from. After a few goes with resolve I ended up back on my old PC, in premier but found instantly I was missing simple but sooo convenient little things like dragging the top end of clips to fade to black or fade audio, just as in Cubase ... and something I’d often found myself attempting to do in premier after a session in cubase ( adobe really should implement this feature in premier)
    So far now I’ll be flitting between platforms and easing myself in. We’ve been out shooting (with an actual camera ) new material over the Xmas break to practice with.... first time in absolutely ages.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I'm on PP V22 and all is well with a couple of windows 10 machines. The only problems I have run into in the past were compatibility with video cards. Me trying to be cheep. Premiere doesn't like cheep video cards. I love Resolve for color correction and color grading but I still prefer Premiere for editing. I have edited full videos in Resolve but I just feel like I don't have the same degree of control. I also very much prefer using After Effects for more complicated edits as apposed to Resolves node process. Very confusing to me. I'm also successfully running both programs on Windows 11.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
    I love Resolve for color correction and color grading but I still prefer Premiere for editing. I have edited full videos in Resolve but I just feel like I don't have the same degree of control.
    I totally get that - I feel the same about Resolve/Vegas, but I wonder how much of this is down to familiarity. As I've said above, I'm not at all experienced with PP, but I sat in on an editing session with a friend who is very adept with it. Looking over his shoulder, my thought was he didn't seem to have a very high degree of control (ie exactly what you thought about Resolve) Yet the results were fine.
    I also very much prefer using After Effects for more complicated edits as apposed to Resolves node process. Very confusing to me.
    Again I totally understand you. Once you are used to the simple concept of layers, which is very easy to grasp, anything else seems unnecessarily complex. Fusion is very simple when you are just putting one shot (eg a video with transparency) over another, and the concept of being presented with a shot with green screen and using a few nodes to key out the green doesn't appear to add much complexity, but before you know it you're overrun with dozens of nodes. I feel this whenever I try to decipher someone elses Fusion comp. It takes a different mindset. It's the price you pay for that sort of granularity. I'm not there yet, bit hopefully one day ...
    I'm also successfully running both programs on Windows 11.
    ]
    That's good to know. Thanks for posting.
    Tim

I successfully running both programs on Windows 11.
    Thanks for the info.