Thread: Any ideas as to what causes video to bounce slightly?

1. Default Any ideas as to what causes video to bounce slightly?

Video bounce.
    If you look at it closely this video is bouncing slightly.
    First clip is shot on a Manfrotto Tripod with the Stabilisation off. I figured this tripod was the problem.
    But the second clip is mounted on a more solid Table top style tripod also with the stabilisation off. But it still has that slight bounce.
    Camera is a Panasonic HC-V180 with nothing else attached.
    Audio is recorded separately on it's own stand.
    Any guesses as to what is causing the bounce? It looks like the stabilisation could be doing something but it should be dead, as it is off.
    Hope to get a new camera in the new year, but was planning on a 4K Panasonic for the full manual control, I just don't want this to be a Panasonic issue.
    https://youtu.be/Ru1VXTK6j9g

I've worked with GH4 and GH5 footage before and it didn't have this issue on a tripod so it's not a brand wide phenomenon. It is almost certainly caused by the camera itself because it seems like a constant frequency so that usually rules out wind and vibrations. It could be the OIS has an error causing it to somehow vibrate while being off. Also, I doubt it that this is something that Panasonic wouldn't have fixed in the last +/- 5 years since the Panasonic HC-V180 was released.
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I've worked with GH4 and GH5 footage before and it didn't have this issue on a tripod so it's not a brand wide phenomenon. It is almost certainly caused by the camera itself because it seems like a constant frequency so that usually rules out wind and vibrations. It could be the OIS has an error causing it to somehow vibrate while being off. Also, I doubt it that this is something that Panasonic wouldn't have fixed in the last +/- 5 years since the Panasonic HC-V180 was released.
    Thanks, I've had this camera since they were introduced and have never been happy with it.
    As it is clearly on it's way out, I've found out how to turn it into an NTSC 60fps unit, so it at least matches all modern monitors and mobile phones.
    I even now tack a variable ND Filter to it and do the whole twice the frame rate thing for shutter speed.
    The bounce is still there but not so obvious in 60fps, but the footage looks more solid, still not as good as it's competitors.
    I'll probably pick up a 4K Bridge Camera or Compact 4K second hand for now as Panasonic camcorders seem to have ceased production.
    I want to steer clear of Sony AX series with their only half manual mode, of which there are plenty available.

Although older I would definitely check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G70. It's more or less the same hardware as the GH4 and there's a "hack" (basically a software setting) that allows recordings over 30 minutes in 4k (most bridge and compact cameras are capped to 30 minutes for tax reasons)

5. Default

This is odd, It only does it when the mic (Zoom H1N) is too close. Failed to turn on the mic (on it's own tripod) on one clip and no bounce. So tried it with the mic Handheld but two feet above and no bounce. Same indoors on test too, move the mic too close and the bounce is back.
    Here is a clip with the same mic, but 2-3ft above the camcorder, no bounce. https://youtu.be/vUalj-96K8s

that indeed is very strange, somehow the Zoom is causing interference. Possibly it generates an electromagnetic pulse or something but I'm no expert on such things. However you managed to find your solution!