Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Barnyard Junkies

1. Default The Barnyard Junkies

My latest effort at editing (used Lightworks). Filmed on a Zoom Q2n. A short snippet from a festival gig we did last weekend. As always I value all your comments and suggestions. Thanks
    Steve

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Can't say I'm a big fan of the zooms or the over-brightened bit, and whilst I didn't mind the old film look, I can't say it added anything. I did quite like the white squiggles though!
    I wonder if you're limited to one camera capturing a performance from one angle, whether it's better just to leave it as a straight record of the event, Or possibly mix in some totally different footage? As it stands it just looks like someone trying to create something from a single shot (which I guess is what it was). But the important thing is youi tried to be creative. Whether it works or not is in the eye of the beholder.
    BTW If you're in the position of only having one camera to capture the whole performance, I suggest setting it off centre so the drummer isn't almost permanatly hidden behind the bassist.
    Nice tracka nd audi though
    Tim

3. Default

From a promotional perspective, having some kind of live performance video is practically required. You've ticked that box. Given that, I don't think the effects matter too much either way. They didn't do all that much for me, but I don't really mind them.

4. Default

Tim,
    Once again, huge thanks for the great feedback. So appreciated.
    Yes, just one camera at this show with a single shot. It's all the footage I have unfortunately. I do have 2 x Zoom Q2n's which I use for most gigs.
    I originally bought a Q2n because of the mics and wide lens which enabled me to record the band. Thought I'd lost it so bought another one then found the original, hence 2.
    I'm not happy with the Zoom now and have been looking for a replacement but can't decide what to get. I need a wide lens and I need decent sound.
    I've bought a QSC Touchmix 16 digital mixer for the band with enables me to record and then mix each voice and instrument separately but can't use it at festivals obviously.
    Do you have any suggestions for cameras I should be looking at (up to about 1200?
    Thanks
    Steve

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    From a promotional perspective, having some kind of live performance video is practically required. You've ticked that box. Given that, I don't think the effects matter too much either way. They didn't do all that much for me, but I don't really mind them.
    Here's a video without any effects from the same gig, Is it better without the effects? BTW Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply, truly appreciated.

Blog Entries

What I like about the straight video is that it gives a true representation to a promoter of what he will be getting. If I was in his position I might think you're trying to make a live performance look livlier by adding the effects. Not necessarily a bad thing (because it shows you are putting effort into your promotional material), What i would be inclined to do is to show about 30 seconds of several songs, maybe with a complete performance of one song at the end, for if the propoter is really interested.
    This is, of course, totally different from the promotional video designed to accompany a performance to be listened to rather than to gain work.
    As for cameras, I think your main requirement for a wide angle is the limiting factor. Wide angle lenses with reduced fish eye are, I believe, pretty expensive. If you want to reduce the fish-eye effect although personally I don't think it's a bad look for a performance video - at least on a static camera.
    I'm afraid I only have a couple of biggish (physically) camcorders so am not in a position to offer valid advice.
    Tim

Creative use of a single very wide angle viewpoint with the crops. I'd crop into e.g. the singer a little sooner, for example around 59 seconds he starts to sing and you crop in a second later. Feels a bit weird to me.
    Don't really mind the effects but not too keen on the old film look. Would in that case rather prefer a decent black and white image instead.

In terms of replacements there's a few options to consider. I am going to assume that you still want to go with a single static viewpoint.
    DSLR
    You could opt for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D coupled with a Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D and use your ZOOM as an external recorder (I also assume you chose these for the audio recording quality and are happy with the audio part of the recording)
    The Lumix is a bit older, you can probably find one second hand and the Laowa 9mm Zero D has zero distortion (zero D ). The camera is getting old being launched in 2015 so I reckon you should be able to find a barely used second hand model for under 400 and a that Laowa is listed as 499 so that should keep you within budget.

Action cams
    Then there's always the GoPro's. You could opt for a cheaper alternative but honestly the GoPro hardware is impressively good. Even the microphones are half decent on recent models though you may still want to make a backup recording with your Zoom. They're cheap, small, durable and you can basically always carry them everywhere so it might also be a camera you would take on other trips.

These are actually also considered action cams but I'll mention them separately. Insta360 One X 2 would be a great option. They're not overly expensive and since they capture a sphere you can get even more material from a static camera. (crowd shots! ) Microphones are built in and will provide you with a track that you can use to sync the video to an external recording in post. If you don't plan to publish in 4K and generally don't shoot in super dark places this might well be the tool that I would personally pick for the job. Especially when you also get the 3 meter long invisible telescopic selfie stick from Insta360 which can give you an almost drone like viewing experience when you hold it above the crowd.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Sound like some great suggestions, Grapes.
    {Ignore my post about Apple only - I'd assumed that as the site I was looking at was Apple. My bad]
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-12-2021 at 09:57 AM.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Sound like some great suggestions, Grapes.
    [Edit] Bah. Apple only (Insta360)

Ignored
    Last edited by Grapes; 10-12-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    The cats are watching us...

10. Default

GoPro Studio software is no longer supported, but you can still download it. It can remove the fisheye effect from at least some GoPro files. It will crop a bit from the edges, so you need to frame the shot a little wide in anticipation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast