Thread: Camera choice for a 12 year old.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Camera choice for a 12 year old.

Hi everyone.

My son has just turned 12 and is interested in making videos. He's been busying himself with a mobile phone (shooting and editing) and makes 'promo vids' of most places we visit.

He's been saving his money and we're looking to get him a camera that will serve a few purposes:

- something that does photos as well as videos (DSLR I presume)
    - records sound, expandable for external mic in future
    - fairly easy to use, but with enough features to future proof it as he gets older and more experienced. Think GCSE/A Level grade.
    - use as a face cam for when he's making YouTube vids (he already has a capture card for recording gameplay)
    - stop motion would be handy, but not essential
    -CHEAP

He made friends with the guy taking the vids for a festival we went to recently who recommended Cannon cameras. I don't know a great deal on the subject but I do remember a friend telling me that Cannon Eos cameras were great for the money, but this was some time ago.

We'll be looking for something second hand and around the 150 mark. He's managed to save about 120 so far.

Also, is there a free/student version of editing software he could be using? Would something like Devinci be too complicated and just scare him off.

He's a really good lad, really enjoys it and seems willing to put the work in, so I'm more than happy supporting him to take this to the next level. Some of his shots are really good (the dude at the festival seemed genuinely impressed with some of them) so I'm trying to encourage him to keep it up. Knowing him, I don't think something like a skill share course would be too beneficial at the minute, I think he just needs to take his camera out and shoot and edit as much as possible.

Any help, advice, offers of a camera that's in the back of the cupboard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 09-10-2021 at 09:55 AM.