Thread: Montage?

Default Montage?

Hi i just entered the forum. My sister found this amazing video edition about a woman doing yoga. I dont know how to describe it. The only thing that pops in my mind is a montage. Other than that i dont know how to look for it. Thought might as well ask in a specialized forum about it. Here i am. This the Instagram video. Hope you can send us in the correct path. My sister wants to start doing Yoga videos and maybe add this editing to hers. The main question would be which software was used, how it is called, and if it is a filter/option which one?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQzLDAgjmHt

Blog Entries

You won't find a plug in to do that - it's done manually and is quite a bit of work.
    1. Copy the video to two tracks.
    2. On the upper track play forward until you get to the point where you want the second image (which up to that point will eventually be the "still" version of teh model) to start moving. Let's call this the "merge frame" as this is the point where the two videos will become one.
    3. Create a still image of that frame.
    4. Delete everything on the upper track that is before the merge frame.
    5. Extend the still image so that it fills the video on the upper track right up to the merge frame.

(So, by now, on the upper track you have an image which is still up until the merge frame where it comes to life, and on the lower track you have the original video which is perfectly in sync with the one on the upper track after the merge frame)

6. This is where the work starts - you now need to use whatever masking tools your software has to draw around the model in the still image. The better tools you have and the more accurately you do this, the better your end result will be.
    7. Once you have drawn around the model you can remove the background and the job is effectively done.

This example is somewhate trickier because the camera is moving, but the same principle applies, it's just that after dping the above, you need to "motion track" the moving image on the lower video track and then attach the cut out still image to that track, so that it stays in position against the background. This will not work if the camera moves very much "around" the subject as the still image is flat and not a 3D model.

You can do this for free in hitFilm express or daVinci Resolve.
    Tim

Thank you very much Tim for explaining the process. Now we see it clearly. She will try to make it happen. Thank you again very much!!

Blog Entries

I wish her luck and don't foget, she's encouraged to post the results in the "user videos" section of this forum.
    Tim