Thread: Making Video Previews in mass

Default Making Video Previews in mass

I have a client that wants me to make ~30 second previews for about 100 of their corporate videos.

Each of the videos range from 10-30 minutes in length. Which is a problem, I can't spent 10-30 minutes watching a video to then make a preview of it. I'd lose money on the job.

Do any of you have any experience making preview videos? If so, do you have a formula that lets you make a decent preview without actually watching the video? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

I suspect they simply don't understand how long it takes to create a 30 sec video from 10-30mins of material. Either that or they're trying it on.
    Is there any possibility of sitting down with one o fthem and doing a very rough edit (ie just selecting the bits to include) - with them selecting so they get an idea?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I suspect they simply don't understand how long it takes to create a 30 sec video from 10-30mins of material. Either that or they're trying it on.
    Is there any possibility of sitting down with one o fthem and doing a very rough edit (ie just selecting the bits to include) - with them selecting so they get an idea?
    While I do like that idea, it still only gives me an idea on one video.

I am currently thinking this as my basic formula:
    1. Skip first 30 seconds to avoid intro stuff
    2. Skip last 30 seconds for outro
    3. Randomly grab scenes that make good 5-second clips until I have 30 seconds or so.

I am wondering if anyone has a better step 3+.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fullerton View Post
    While I do like that idea, it still only gives me an idea on one video.
    It was intended to give the client an idea of how long the process takes, not you an idea of what to do!

I am currently thinking this as my basic formula:
    1. Skip first 30 seconds to avoid intro stuff
    2. Skip last 30 seconds for outro
    3. Randomly grab scenes that make good 5-second clips until I have 30 seconds or so.
    Without viewing the whole video and selecting "good" points, then reducing the selections to a total 30 secs which work well together, I can't see this as being anything other than a mess.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It was intended to give the client an idea of how long the process takes, not you an idea of what to do!

Without viewing the whole video and selecting "good" points, then reducing the selections to a total 30 secs which work well together, I can't see this as being anything other than a mess.
    I am starting to think that I may need to go back with a higher rate, or let them know that the previews will be "dumb" and just some 5-second clips spaced throughout the video.

I can't spent 10-30 minutes watching a video to then make a preview of it. I'd lose money on the job.
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you cost for that, i.e. if you charge an hourly rate, include this time in the cost?
    follow us on twitter.com/videoforums
    become a fan on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you cost for that, i.e. if you charge an hourly rate, include this time in the cost?
    I was offered a flat rate, which, at my preferred rate, is about 15 minutes per video, all in. I could take 20 and not feel bad, as this is more production work than creative.

I found a few tools that claim they can automate the creation of video previews:
    https://cloudinary.com/blog/auto_gen...lts_every_time
    https://lucidvideo.ai/automated-video-previews/
    https://valossa.com/autopreview/

Anyone have any experience using these?