Thread: Where to start?

Question Where to start?

I'm a fuji photographer using their mirrorless system and shooting with the X-e3. I want to learn about video for use when I travel and maybe try out YouTube.I want to stick with Fuji(lots of lenses) but am about to change my camera and am considering the Fujifilm x-s10 as the best compact Fuji option to give me a video capability. Any comments on this please and in particular

1. What should I consider for editing? I subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud (Photography) but the monthly cost doubles to add the premier pro subscription. Should I consider something else to start and free or paid?
    2. I'm thinking of getting a chromebook for when I can travel again. Should I get an editing application that will run on a pc and chrome or treat them as having individual requirements?
    3. Any other thoughts on accessories, portable mic, starting out,training and help...

Thanks for reading

stu

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cfsevlow View Post
    I'm a fuji photographer using their mirrorless system and shooting with the X-e3. I want to learn about video for use when I travel and maybe try out YouTube.I want to stick with Fuji(lots of lenses) but am about to change my camera and am considering the Fujifilm x-s10 as the best compact Fuji option to give me a video capability. Any comments on this please and in particular

1. What should I consider for editing? I subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud (Photography) but the monthly cost doubles to add the premier pro subscription. Should I consider something else to start and free or paid?
    2. I'm thinking of getting a chromebook for when I can travel again. Should I get an editing application that will run on a pc and chrome or treat them as having individual requirements?
    3. Any other thoughts on accessories, portable mic, starting out,training and help...

Thanks for reading

stu
    I see that no one has yet replied to your posting so I thought Iwould add some very basic thoughts although I’m certainly not qualified to answer many of the points you raise. One thing you didn’t mention is the nature of videos you intend to take, although you have mentioned travelling.

As you appear to have several Fuji lenses it would seem obvious to upgrade to the X-s10 or at least a camera body that will take your lenses. The X-s10 is certainly not a cheap camera for the casual snapper, but as you appear to be a very keen person, the camera body would appear to be a good investment. Very advanced specs of course, many of which you may never use.

I use Adobe Premiere CS6 for my video editing which was the last issue to be able to purchase outright but when it became subscription only I couldn’t afford this cost, so have stuck with CS6 that is still serving me well for all my video needs. Therefore you need to consider alternative video editing software. As you will almost certainly be shooting video in 4K you should ensure the chosen software is capable of this but I would assume all the latest products can do this.

Of the software available many would recommend Da Vinci ‘Resolve’. There is a free version. I don’t have this but understand that the learning curve is very steep and the computer must be a top spec to be able to use it.

There are certainly several relatively low cost programmes that you could investigate. For instance, Power Director. I understand there is a pay once and use forever version and also a monthly subscription version. I have used a much earlier version that I found to be fairly easy to learn and quite satisfactory. Have a look at Vegas Movie Studio and Magix. There are many others so do some research on the web. There are several totally free programmes but they do have their limitations and you are always encouraged to go for the paid version.

Several of my friends use Pinnacle Studio. I have tried an earlier version but the latest is v24 and this comes in three versions. The basic Studio, Studio Plus and Studio Ultimate. The Ultimate is promoted as handling 4K and in the UK this is priced at around £100.00. Very cheap when compared to the big investment you are making in camera gear. The Pinnacle web site gives all the info required about the computer specifications needed to run the programme.

You mention using a Chromebook. I have a friend who uses one but discovered that it didn’t appear to be easy to do video editing on the fairly basic model she has. So before you invest in a Chromebook, double check what video editing programmes you can install and edit 4k footage. You might well do best with a top end Laptop.

You ask about accessories. Here again it depends on the type of video you intend to produce. If you intend to meet and talk to people, ideally you would need a separate mic. Long cables from camera to subject can be a pain on location so a radio mic with a ‘tie-clip’ type of mic , or a hand held interview type mic would be the best option here. I note the camera body you mention has a mic in socket and also a headphone socket – apparently using a supplied dongle into a USB socket. Headphones are really needed so that you can monitor the sound being recorded. Ideally some quality over-the-ear models are best but as you might be travelling, you could try some simple in-the-ear models. Something is better than nothing.

Perhaps my simplistic reply might encourage others to give their opinions.
    Best of luck. Wynn