Thread: why after effects?

Default why after effects?

I am fairly new to the video editing world, and I am trying to figure out what is the big deal about after effects? Meaning what is it that you can do in after effects that can't be done in premiere? I do realize that a.e. has some text animation presets, but is there any other reason to purchase it? I appreciate the help anyone could give me to understand this. I have been reading about it, and I just don't really see what it can do that there has to be a whole different program.

Thank you

Blog Entries

After Effects is designed specifically for compositing effects, meaning any effect requiring several layers will be acheived much more easily with AE as opposed to AP.

Indeed as Marc says...!

see this video from adobe to explain its benefits.

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/ae_qt1.html

Its a quicktime file...

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    After Effects is designed specifically for compositing effects, meaning any effect requiring several layers will be acheived much more easily with AE as opposed to AP.
    The only thing with Marc's comment I would change is that I would have said that you could achieve thiose effects with far greater control rather than 'easier'.

I have to admit though, I asked myself this very same question in my earlier days (this means last year). Suffice to say that when you invest in a good book and read it and then start to play with AE you will understand the differences more and more.

Difficult to define the boundaries of each in black and white terms but play wioth them and you'll learn where they overlap and where/why AE extends way past Premiere in compositing and motion graphics.

Thank you everyone for your help in understanding. I actually did just go out and purchase a book on After Effects to try to understand it a little more. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

No problem. It certainly wasn't a daft question btw - it's hard to judge when to switch . Me, I'm just scared of after effects!

Default the beauty of after effects

Nothing beats after effects when it comes to placing, creating or tweaking graphic elements! Import a simple circle and one can do countless of variations with it. One can mask part of it, or create shadows underneath, or have a glow from behind, or create a kaleidoscope of images with it.

True, one can recreate the same in premier but then you have to consider the time element. After Effects definitely offers more variations in no time at all.

Plus of course the plug-ins! In after effects, you've got hundreds of them. In fact, the common pitfall in after effects is knowing not what to utilise because of the sheer number of effects available.

So why after effects? As Alan rightly said, its got the option for far greater control! There is no limit what it can do. Imagine it and it'll be possible with after effects!
    http://www.mindscapers.com

Quote Originally Posted by dcp1970
    Thank you everyone for your help in understanding. I actually did just go out and purchase a book on After Effects to try to understand it a little more. Thanks again.
    Which book did you opt for?

I got the "Visual Quickpro Guide for After Effects 6.5"
    There wasn't a huge selection at the bookstore by my house.

Quote Originally Posted by dcp1970
    I got the "Visual Quickpro Guide for After Effects 6.5"
    There wasn't a huge selection at the bookstore by my house.
    I've had a couple of those Quickpro guide. They're not bad. but they are a hard book to sit down and read on their own, i.e. while not at a PC following the examples.

Assuming the book is any good though, as you go through it have a think about how you might try to attack the same problems/effects in Premiere Pro. This will give you the best understanding of when to use which package.

And for the record, I believe the Trish and Chris Meyer books are generally considered the best AE books out there when you feel you need more. Certainly I can personally recommend them.