Thread: No audio on Laptop suddenly

1. Default No audio on Laptop suddenly

I have a rarely used Acer Laptop a couple of years old and it has alwaysbeen fine. Today when doing a few tasks the audio sudden ceased. Itried playing various videos of mine and also some from YouTube and some DVDs butcouldn’t get any sound at all. All the speaker settings were checked andall at 100%. Cutting the story short, everything I could think ofincluding ensuring the drivers were up to date all to no avail. Theaudio installed is Realtek High Definition Audio.

Any suggestionsplease.
    Wynn

Blog Entries

I see this happening occasionally on PCs I work on at schools/customers. Everything looks in order, but no sound. Generally going into device manager and uninstalling anything to do with sound followed by a reboot which will pick it all up again resolves the issue.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I see this happening occasionally on PCs I work on at schools/customers. Everything looks in order, but no sound. Generally going into device manager and uninstalling anything to do with sound followed by a reboot which will pick it all up again resolves the issue.
    Thanks for that tip Tim. I had read about this earlier in the day but was wary about doing something like this as I not knowledgeable at all.

However, I will certainly try this after a good night sleep and a few prayers.
    Thanks.Wynn

4. Default

Hi Tim,
    Sorry I haven’treported back on your suggestion for restoring the audio to mylaptop. (long story).

However, I followedthe suggestion not once but three times with no luck. I then lookedin the Win 10 programmes and spotted the Realtek programme, so Ideleted that. (phew) The good news was that the audio was restored.Sadly, that’s not the end of the story. Switching off the machinefor the day I was quite content, but next morning – no audio again.So I went through the entire sequence once more and eventually theaudio came back.

I then had a dayaway from the machine assisting a lady in buying a camcorder from PCWorld in a nearby town. The camera ordered was a bundle complete with a 32g card. Whatan experience this has been. It was promised for collection next day.Email from them to say it was delivery was delayed and would now bethe following day.

Collected the itemnext day and all seemed well but next morning the camera wouldn’twork. Once more off to PC World and it took forever to prove to theyoung sales man that the camera didn’t work. He said it was a duffcard. I explained that test pictures on the card could be shown on myPC with no problem. Eventually they promised to get a replacementfor the next day. On the lady’s behalf I made it clear that a 32gcard should be included.

Next day yet anothertrip to PC World where they had the replacement camera but I insistedit was checked to see if a card was there. No - there was no card.Another long delay – consultations with the manager etc. Eventuallythey decided to supply a 32g card from stock, but they couldn’tjust give it to her . . . We firmly pointed out that a card wasalready paid for to be included with the kit. More discussions withthe manager backstage. Eventually (Ye Gods) the manager decided tomake a discount on the card and it would be included for 1p. Yes –1p. I was tempted to tell the salesman to put to 1p in from his ownpocket. I have forgotten to mention that their store computercouldn’t trace the correct number for the lady’s credit card usedfor the original purchase!!!! Finally, after over an hour offrustrating and exhausting messing about we managed to escape fromthe store. The mind boggles! Sorry to burden all the readers withthat tale but I had to get it off my chest

Back to my laptopaudio problem. The situation now is that I boot up the machine andthere is no audio – rebooting the machine and the audio is back.Just why I really don’t know, guess I will just have to live withit.
    Cheers. Wynn

Blog Entries

Two stories fr the price of one, Wynn!
    I suppose I ought to be glad you at least have a workaround for the audio issue, but it must be very frustrating.

I've had similar issues with PC World before - at least on the technical side. The problem is the staff don't understand the kit they are selling. I pity the poor purchaser who is also ignorant. Thank goodness the lady in question had you to assist.
    Tim