Thread: Baby Seals!!

Default Baby Seals!!

Wow! Hello! Itís been a while! How is everyone?!
    Lockdown has given me some time to start a little YouTube channel, itís nothing big atm but thought I might share!
    Bearing in mind there were some limitations with filming- mic placements had to be done by contributors with lower grade kit, archive footage had to be sought to help tell stories in full where I couldnít get access to film. All filmed from a distance and safely outside of rolling lockdown periods, but full of cute animals!!

Hereís my most recent vid about Seal Pup Rescues!

https://youtu.be/ldAXhTnvue4

Blog Entries

Cheat!
    A friend and I joke about "the gratuitous dog shot", referring to the idea that you can slip in a cute shot of a puppy just to increase the viewers' appreciation of the film. Her you have baby seals which trump that.
    The film is well put together - well edited. the flip flopping between Terry's speech and the voiceover helps keep the attention. Voiceover is very well scripted and integrated with what Terry says. No repetition (which can so easily occur).
    Good that you concentrate on Terry who seems a bit of a character.
    The big negative is that Terry's speech is recorded (or mixed) too hot and has horrible (though not disatrous) distortion.
    My other suggestion for improvement would be to increase the contrast and maybe add a bit of saturation. This will improve the definition of the images. Colour balance between different shots is fine, though, so this should be easy to apply.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Cheat!
    A friend and I joke about "the gratuitous dog shot", referring to the idea that you can slip in a cute shot of a puppy just to increase the viewers' appreciation of the film. Her you have baby seals which trump that.
    The film is well put together - well edited. the flip flopping between Terry's speech and the voiceover helps keep the attention. Voiceover is very well scripted and integrated with what Terry says. No repetition (which can so easily occur).
    Good that you concentrate on Terry who seems a bit of a character.
    The big negative is that Terry's speech is recorded (or mixed) too hot and has horrible (though not disatrous) distortion.
    My other suggestion for improvement would be to increase the contrast and maybe add a bit of saturation. This will improve the definition of the images. Colour balance between different shots is fine, though, so this should be easy to apply.
    Thanks Tim
    The perils of recording audio with less control, he was recorded hot and as they say with sound Ďshit goes in, shit comes outí.
    It was a toss up between having him attaching a rode link to his collar which caused distortion due to the mics auto compress and it being right in his beard, or a boom and fluffy quite far away on a breezy day and risk loosing him to wind noise.
    All of this down to not being able to get too close with Covid restrictions. Itís going to take a couple of attempts to get this right with contributors I think.
    Currently the Rode Link is sanitised and kept in a plastic bag for a couple of days, I demonstrate with the plastic bag to the contributor and then they pick it out of the baggy and place it on themselves, adjust it for a few minutes and then after weíre done, they remove it, pop it back into the back and I safely sanitise charge, sanitise and repeat.

Ordinarily Iíd have better lapels on radio mics, but demoing those, getting contributors with no real knowledge to position and clip on is a lot trickier to manage and get right without me having to get in there and adjust. Or using a 416 boom would work, but I donít have one of those!

Itís these personal projects I use to practice new techniques though so when there is a paying client about, everything runs smoothly 🙃