Thread: [SHORTFILM] A Story Of Silence

Default [SHORTFILM] A Story Of Silence

Hi all,
    I just wanna present to you my latest work: A Story Of Silence

synopsis:

"2045 - Conspiracy activists and negationists have ascended to power, and they have a solid plan to stay there: the elimination of independent individual thought through the elimination of all forms of knowledge and culture, including human ones. Thus, a small resistance of intellectuals, artists, who fight in order not to surrender to this new form of totalitarianism, is born: it is war; ignorance is being fought with books and violence, violence to which they themselves have been exposed to, savagely, arbitrarily. What if this is not only fiction?
    In this work of dystopic/horror matrix, we wanted to reflect on the role of culture and censorship in our contemporary world, mainly in the western part: culture and knowledge that are increasingly being underestimated and often denigrated; a censorship that is no longer imposed from above, by governments, dictatorships, but a censorship that starts from below, by the individual user, who puts his veto through social media platforms (now privileged places for sharing art and culture), which leave complete freedom of judgment and allow total anonymity, being exclusively devoted to economic return, thus abandoning us to a "battle of the hane-nots". But what if this complete freedom is nothing more than a decoy?"

the shortfilm has won the Rome Art Week 2020 - Miami New Media Festival

feedbacks and comments are very welcome

best regards from Sardinia

Blog Entries

First congratulations on your winning film!

Shots are effective and edited well generally. I liked the grade. The acting was convincing. I did not like the "cartoon" effect used at the beginning of several scenes - was this meant to represent the blurring of fiction and reality?
    I could not understand very much of what the kidnapper was saying - partly down to the accent (though I am full of admiration for anyone who can speak in something that is not their mother tongie) and partly down to the soundscape being too loud. Possibly because of this I didn't really get much of the message your sysnopsis conveyed - only that people who question <something> are being silenced.
    It is not obvious from the film whether the protagonist is questioning the government r questioning conspiriscy theorists.

In more practical terms the whole kidnapping scene was non-sensical.
    1. Why would they wait for him in one position from which they could easily kidnap him then run a very long route to the positon only a few meters aways where they do kidnap him? (a) why not kidnap him from position 1 and (b) there must have been a massive risk that he would pass position (b) before they arrived there.
    2. The protagonist was going there to meet them. It is inconceivable that he would not be looking round and see them.

I realise you probably did this for dramatic effect - it allowed you to introduce the kidnappers and inject some action into the film, but it made it rather unbelievable for me.
    Tim

Well done on winning!!

I struggled to really hear topless torture tattoo dude though, and I think what he was saying was probably important. Some ADR would have helped to get a really close creepy sound of his voice. It seemed the boom was likely overhead the action and screamy guy over whelmed it whilst torture tattoo dude had his head down, blocking it and got lost, which is a shame.

Blog Entries

Fuzzymuffin, you're back! Hope you've got plenty of films for us to see
    Tim

thx all for watching and for all your feedbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Fuzzymuffin, you're back! Hope you've got plenty of films for us to see
    Haha! Yes! Iíve been away working as a camera op/editor. Managed to find some time during lockdown to start my own projects. Be prepared for a ton of cute animals 🤣

7. Default

great video, very professional, all round top marks from me.