Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Recording Advice

Default Sound Recording Advice

Hi folks, I'm putting together a youtube channel with no images and just sound from sound recordings I make whilst mobile. Basically, outdoor sounds. I don't mind buying a camera and attaching a mic to it, but I'm sure there's a way to record good quality sound without buying a full camera set up.
    What I'll need to do with the sound recordings is overlay it onto Adobe Premier and then upload the content to my channel.

What method would you suggest I use to do this and what kit do you suggest I buy. I can spend up to 200 but I'm guessing I might not have to spend this full amount in order to achieve a product with good sound quality.

Your help is much appreciated.

2. Default

The Zoom, Tascam and other portable recorders are quite good. I have a Zoom H5 recorder. It has a detachable XY mic module plus a pair of mic/line inputs, and it can record four separate tracks. You might want to research which recorders have the lowest noise levels since you're probably going to be using fairly high gain settings for nature sounds. I use mine for recording live music, so noise levels aren't a problem.

A nice thing about the detachable XY mic module is that it can be replaced with a mid-side, a shotgun or a module that has another pair of mic/line inputs, or you can put an extension cable on it to place the module some distance from the recorder itself.

Blog Entries

I love my Zoom H5, but I nearly always process with a bit of noise reduction software (IZotope RX) as the pre amps do produce a bit of hiss (both when recording from a sound desk and from the built in mics). Some argue Tascams are less noisey. i have no personal experience. Note the hiss is nowhere near as bad as the older H4/n so be careful you choose the right models when watching reviews.
    Tim

4. Default

There are three H4 models from Zoom, the original H4, the H4n and the H4n Pro. If I recall correctly, the Pro has lower noise and a converter clock that doesn't drift relative to other devices as badly as the earlier models. But don't rely on my memory, research it.

Thanks @Timstannard and @Bouldersoundguy. Perhaps I'll look into the H4n Pro? the Tascam doesn't review well and in the review I saw it said that it was actually more noisey than one of the Zoom models. I want to record from a distance, for example, I'll want to hold the device in my hand indoors and have the boom/mic outdoors picking up the audio. I guess a Rode VideoMic Pro might be good to connect to it?

How much can I record/store without having to buy an SD card?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
    I guess a Rode VideoMic Pro might be good to connect to it?

That mic is designed to be connected to a camera via the 3.5mm jack. That's not suitable for connection by a long cable. The H4n Pro, H5 etc. have XLR inputs that can be used with all sorts of pro microphones. XLR allows for good signal quality over very long cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
    How much can I record/store without having to buy an SD card?
    None. You need at least one SD card. A stereo 24 bit 48kHz audio track takes about 1GB per hour.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    and the H4n Pro. If I recall correctly, the Pro has lower noise and a converter clock
    Ahhh - I'd forgotten that one. My dodgy memory concurs with yours.
    Tim

I'm leaning towards the Zoom H4N Pro at the moment but still doing some research, I'm hoping that recording with this device isn't going to be too much of a problem recording for recording nature sounds, in regards to noise. I have one last question, can this device be left outside in the rain to record or does it need a cover? I'm thinking to connect it to a mic/boom on a long lead and recording that way. What's your take on recording with your device in the rain and recording at a distance away from the subject?
    Last edited by Bossman; 10-04-2020 at 02:58 PM.

What are your thoughts on the Sony PCM - D100? It doesn't have an XLR input but there must be a workaround for this?
    Last edited by Bossman; 10-04-2020 at 05:28 PM.

10. Default

You can't leave any of that stuff out in the rain. You might be able to put plastic wrap on something, but a mic will pick up the sound of the raindrops hitting the plastic. Condenser mics shouldn't be left in high humidity environments in any case. Perhaps your best bet is a cover like a peaked roof over the mic, but wind might blow water onto it anyway.

Recording at a distance means having the gain up that much further, which means more noise, and you'll capture more unwanted sounds.

A good quality portable workaround for not having an XLR would probably cost more than just buying a recorder with an XLR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast