Thread: Best way to partition a second capture hard drive

Default Best way to partition a second capture hard drive

Hello

I have just bought a new 250GB drive for video use. However I also want to put important data (around 20GB) on this drive in case the C drive crashes with windows and I lose it.

I am better off just using 1 large 250GB partition and just separating the files using folders or using partitions for this>?

Can someone recommend the best size to use for a capture drive generally?

Cheers

Martin

Blog Entries

I don't partition. I currently have two c300GB drives for editing, which are simply structured using folders. I use O&O defrag to keep the drives in good condition.

O&O? - any good Marc? - is it quick?

Blog Entries

Much better than Windows in my opinion. Gives you a whole range of options (one of which is a quicker defrag), and I find it's less prone to crashing.

Marc: is it free? I looked on their web site, but it all looks like it's pay for. I could use a better defrag utility than WXP provides...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

It is not free I;m afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I don't partition. I currently have two c300GB drives for editing, which are simply structured using folders. I use O&O defrag to keep the drives in good condition.
    Marc What is the big disadvantage to partitioning? I know that in this era of large hard dics and NTFS cluster sizes are less of an issue.

I have a Shutlle PC with 2 240g HDD .One is partioned into 2X 120 each for video capture rendering etc. The other has 4 partitions . one for data storage and each of the others for a multi boot system in which 1 parttion is for general use, one for pinnaacle studio and ulead movie factory workshop etc, and the last one For Liquid Edition6.1.
    6 partitions in all . I also have the O& O software which is infact very good.
    I admit that my PC setup may not be your "typical" pc setup and may prove to be a support headache if it goes wrong ( self-built so no off site support: LOL) but i have for the past 2 years + had it in tip top shape. I do occasional benefit from the fact that if the windows xp in one partition plays up I can use another.
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough