Thread: The Beautiful City of York

1. Default The Beautiful City of York

Just a nice little video i put together before my drone return to home messed up and i lost it, hope you enjoy and all feedback appreciated.

Beautiful place! I love all the ancient buildings.

Blog Entries

Some of this might sound a bit harsh, but then again I know you're lookig for suggestions for where to improve.

You still seem to be a bit fixated on shooting people walking away from the camera. This has its place but think about this:
    What does the shot at 0:26 show us? Ditto 0:47
    Now both of these could have been very effectively used is the starting point for the shot if you allow it to continue. In both cases, your girlfriend walking could/shoud leads us into the shot. In the first the camera pans right and then should come to rest for a second or two on the bar courtyard (if it is worth seeing). In the second the camera tilts to reveal the tower for a moment or two. But in the first case you cust the shot just as the courtyard is revealed and in the second you miss the top of the tower then tilt down again. Walking at 0:53 is potentially a good way of showing the narrowness/steepnes, but the camera remains close up so we don't really get the effect. Better would be to leave the camera static and have your gf walking away, which would give a much gerater impression of depth.

(Basically use "folowing girlfriend" shits in exacty the same way as you use teh "opening gate" shot - leading us somewhere)

The aerial footage is OK, but many of the hand held shots look like hosing - wandering around rather aimlessly. I appreciate that in may cases you are moving towards a target but:
    1. You need to hold on the target
    2. Avoid changing direction. Alternatively, if you have several "targets" within the shot, pan/tilt from the first to the second then make a definite pause on that target before moving to the next.

If the camera does not pause, the audience does not know what hey are meant to be looking at (this is your job as a director - to direct the audiences attention)

Be careful of the speed of your camera movement - you're often panning/tilting too fast for the frame rate.

But loved the subject anyway.
    Tim

Very nice . I love this.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Some of this might sound a bit harsh, but then again I know you're lookig for suggestions for where to improve.

You still seem to be a bit fixated on shooting people walking away from the camera. This has its place but think about this:
    What does the shot at 0:26 show us? Ditto 0:47
    Now both of these could have been very effectively used is the starting point for the shot if you allow it to continue. In both cases, your girlfriend walking could/shoud leads us into the shot. In the first the camera pans right and then should come to rest for a second or two on the bar courtyard (if it is worth seeing). In the second the camera tilts to reveal the tower for a moment or two. But in the first case you cust the shot just as the courtyard is revealed and in the second you miss the top of the tower then tilt down again. Walking at 0:53 is potentially a good way of showing the narrowness/steepnes, but the camera remains close up so we don't really get the effect. Better would be to leave the camera static and have your gf walking away, which would give a much gerater impression of depth.

(Basically use "folowing girlfriend" shits in exacty the same way as you use teh "opening gate" shot - leading us somewhere)

The aerial footage is OK, but many of the hand held shots look like hosing - wandering around rather aimlessly. I appreciate that in may cases you are moving towards a target but:
    1. You need to hold on the target
    2. Avoid changing direction. Alternatively, if you have several "targets" within the shot, pan/tilt from the first to the second then make a definite pause on that target before moving to the next.

If the camera does not pause, the audience does not know what hey are meant to be looking at (this is your job as a director - to direct the audiences attention)

Be careful of the speed of your camera movement - you're often panning/tilting too fast for the frame rate.

But loved the subject anyway.
    hi tim, thanks for the feedback, i have been trying to get different angles and positions in each video, this one i agree needs more focus on us facing the camera, i will be activeky adding more of this as i go along, little by little just so its more natural for me and her and doesnt seem like im just throwing a camera in her face, but thanks for the feedback

Excellent photo. Just love it.