Thread: New Here.....trying to achieve a certain effect

Default New Here.....trying to achieve a certain effect

Hey everyone. Im new here and looking for help. Ive never tried editing forums before but it looks like Ill be here often lol.

Ive been editing for the past 3 years. I love it. Im working on a new video and trying to achieve the same effect as the Missy Elliot "lose control" video. The part where the whole screen shakes when their feet hit the ground. Is that even possible in Vegas? Was it all done through green screen where they can make the background bigger so that they have the extra to move around? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

heres a link to the video. I love the way it was edited.

http://www.virgin.net/music/musicvid...ontrol_hi.html

Blog Entries

Hi EDUB and welcome.

Trying to work out how pros achieved an effect using amateur tools is a one of the more difficult tasks in editing. It often requires you to take the techniques you know and combine them to use in a way you'd never thought possible.

Looking at the video, it seems you could achieve the same effect by simply keyframing zoom and pan. Start keyframing the zoom and pan just before the dancers hit the floor.

Google - "Vegas earthquake script" and you should find the script for download somewhere - it does exactly what you want by keyframing every frame in your selected clip and randomising its position with in the "pan/crop" window - for it to work properly though you should zoom the entire project by around 15pixels

Blog Entries

I couldn't find the earthquake script Irish mentioned, so I achieved the same effect by using track motion to `shake` the image. I did it for the Complete Madness DVD, when there is a car crash sound effect for some action off stage. I just shook the rest of the band on stage by keyframing around ten times in a couple of seconds and sharply moved the image around. Very effective.

The reason you need to zoom it a little by the way, is that the edges of the frame will appear as it shakes if you don't.