Thread: Lockdown Life - Greece Edition

1. Default Lockdown Life - Greece Edition

Hi guys, over lockdown i have been doing alot of work and just last week me and my girlfriend went to greece, during that time i found a passion for video filming and editing, this is nothing special just a quick video of my time there, hope you enjoy.

2. Default

any feedback is much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Glad you've discovered a passion for filming and editing. Might as well say goodbye to your girlfriend now as you'll have no time left for her

OK so, there's a good variety of wide and mid shots. Next time try getting some close-ups, details of statues, plant's people's faces/feed whatever - just adds some variety and can add to the story.
    You need tow atch for horizons - especially over water where it is obvious if the shots are not level.
    You've not used too many transitions, which is good. Ask yourself - do you need to use any? Are they motivated by a change in something (location, time of day, subject?)
    The wide angle lens you're using produces a displeasing look when you pan (my opinion, may travel videos seem to have this and like it - but i reminds me of the motion sickness I feel on boats -e even in the Med)

You've done a good job cutting sympathetically to the music.

However, there are two far more important things to work on if you want to make engaging films.

1. Structure - try to create some sort of narrative (story) to your film. This can be as simple as structuring it around a chronological sequence (a series of scenes shot on different days, or start with waking up, and end with lights out). The purpose of this is to create a situation where the audience wants to know what happens next - and thus keep them watching. A couple of very simple tests for this:
    a) Would it matter if the clips were rearranged?
    b) Would it make any difference if the film started and/or finished at a different place?
    If the answer to either is "no" then the film probably lacks structure.
    I can see you already instictively feel this as you have created "bookend" opening and finishing sequences.

2. Faces, not places. People are drawn to faces and expressions. They draw people in. Yes, the film is about the location, but we need to see how you, and others, feel about where you are, what you're doing. We see people in this film, but we are mostly looking at their backs! You make several appearances in the film but at best we see you in profile. Your girlfriend appears only in very wide shots (so we've no idea if she's having a great time or there under duress - although her body language suggests she's unimpressed that you're spending time playing with your drone )

Associated particularly with (2) iswhat makes this YOUR film? What makes it different to any other films of the same area?

Just a few things to think about for next time
    Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Glad you've discovered a passion for filming and editing. Might as well say goodbye to your girlfriend now as you'll have no time left for her

OK so, there's a good variety of wide and mid shots. Next time try getting some close-ups, details of statues, plant's people's faces/feed whatever - just adds some variety and can add to the story.
    You need tow atch for horizons - especially over water where it is obvious if the shots are not level.
    You've not used too many transitions, which is good. Ask yourself - do you need to use any? Are they motivated by a change in something (location, time of day, subject?)
    The wide angle lens you're using produces a displeasing look when you pan (my opinion, may travel videos seem to have this and like it - but i reminds me of the motion sickness I feel on boats -e even in the Med)

You've done a good job cutting sympathetically to the music.

However, there are two far more important things to work on if you want to make engaging films.

1. Structure - try to create some sort of narrative (story) to your film. This can be as simple as structuring it around a chronological sequence (a series of scenes shot on different days, or start with waking up, and end with lights out). The purpose of this is to create a situation where the audience wants to know what happens next - and thus keep them watching. A couple of very simple tests for this:
    a) Would it matter if the clips were rearranged?
    b) Would it make any difference if the film started and/or finished at a different place?
    If the answer to either is "no" then the film probably lacks structure.
    I can see you already instictively feel this as you have created "bookend" opening and finishing sequences.

2. Faces, not places. People are drawn to faces and expressions. They draw people in. Yes, the film is about the location, but we need to see how you, and others, feel about where you are, what you're doing. We see people in this film, but we are mostly looking at their backs! You make several appearances in the film but at best we see you in profile. Your girlfriend appears only in very wide shots (so we've no idea if she's having a great time or there under duress - although her body language suggests she's unimpressed that you're spending time playing with your drone )

Associated particularly with (2) iswhat makes this YOUR film? What makes it different to any other films of the same area?

Just a few things to think about for next time
    thanks for the reply, this is the most in-depth constructive criticism i have recieved and its much appreciated. The close ups and different angles is a great idea and i will be incoporating this into videos that i have not already created, thanks for your feedback.

Not much to add to Tim’s great advice. My suggestion would be to read up on golden ratios - framing your shots is super important.