Thread: Image resolution / quality question

Default Image resolution / quality question

Hi everyone! I'm making a music video on an absolute shoestring. I shot some footage on a camera phone, which sadly had a big black blob in the picture which no amount cleaning or blowing would get out of the lens. So I cropped it out using the non-magic of digital zoom.

I'm just wondering how usable this footage is? It was filmed using the FHD setting, 1920x1080. I've calculated that the digital zoom factor (2. ought to reduce the image quality to roughly 0.2MP (though I may be wrong, as my understanding of resolution vs size etc is vague at best). This seems like it would be fairly dire, however the footage looks fine in the rough cut next to stuff shot on other, less rubbish cameras (as viewed on my 13 inch laptop screen).

I'm just wondering - if I viewed the video on, say, a large flatscreen, would I suddenly find that certain parts of it look all pixellated and horrid? This video doesn't need to look pristine as I'm leaning somewhat into the DIY sensibility but I have to draw a line somewhere!

All advice much appreciated, thanks

Blog Entries

Just to put this in some sort of context, a standard definition video frame (in PAL territories) is 720x576 pixels. That's what your DVDs are. Are you happy with that resolution?
    Now we're not really comparing like for like here as other factors need to be taken into consideration (like the shape of the pixels).

Standard definition images look rubbish on large screens though. Why do they look good when plaing DVD? Most modern DVD players upscale the images to improve the look.

Even if the answer was black and white and teh same for every TV/setup, what might be acceptable to me might not be to you.

The short answer is, I'm afraid, run a test using the processes you expect to use and see if you are happy wit the results.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just to put this in some sort of context, a standard definition video frame (in PAL territories) is 720x576 pixels. That's what your DVDs are. Are you happy with that resolution?
    Now we're not really comparing like for like here as other factors need to be taken into consideration (like the shape of the pixels).

Standard definition images look rubbish on large screens though. Why do they look good when plaing DVD? Most modern DVD players upscale the images to improve the look.

Even if the answer was black and white and teh same for every TV/setup, what might be acceptable to me might not be to you.

The short answer is, I'm afraid, run a test using the processes you expect to use and see if you are happy wit the results.
    Fair dos, thanks for your input Tim