Thread: How can I remove an unwanted BORDER around a video clip?

Default How can I remove an unwanted BORDER around a video clip?

Hi,

I have in-game footage captured in my Flight Simulation programme using OBS Studio. I'm using Movie Studio 16.0 to edit the resultant video. As you can see in this picture, the Windows screen - TOP MENU BAR and BOTTOM TASKBAR - is also "captured" by OBS Studio during the capture process.

Is there any way to remove the surrounding Windows Top Menu and bottom Taskbar and just leave the footage?

Thank you for your help,

Regards,

Lee

2. Default

Sure, any decent editing software will let you do that. You'll have four options. First is to crop it down at the same aspect ratio and lose a bit of the sides along with the top and bottom. Second is to crop just the top and bottom off, leaving them black but maintaining the same aspect ratio of the final video. Third is to crop them and stretch the video's height to fill in the space to keep the aspect ratio. Fourth is to crop them off and change the aspect of the final video slightly. I'd suggest avoiding option #4. I'd probably do #1 or #2, or whatever ended up with a standard aspect ratio without stretching or black bars.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 07-21-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Hi,

Thank you for replying ...

Sure, any decent editing software will let you do that. You'll have four options. First is to crop it down at the same aspect ratio and lose a bit of the sides along with the top and bottom. Second is to crop just the top and bottom off, leaving them black but maintaining the same aspect ratio of the final video. Third is to crop them and stretch the video's height to fill in the space to keep the aspect ratio. Fourth is to crop them off and change the aspect of the final video slightly. I'd suggest avoiding option #4. I'd probably do #1 or #2, or whatever ended up with a standard aspect ratio without stretching or black bars.
    Ok, I would also do option two - and just keep the aspect ratio and two blank bits at the top. But everything I have Googled or searched for tells me how to eradicate side bars - but not unwanted borders!

Can you tell me how I would do it?

Cheers,

Lee

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BAW9DV View Post
    Can you tell me how I would do it?
    That depends on what editing software you're using. If you have Vegas Pro, you would open the Pan/Crop tool on the clip and deselect the Lock Aspect Ratio control, then adjust the borders of the pan/crop outline to hide the borders of the image. Then export in the desired format.

Hello,

That depends on what editing software you're using. If you have Vegas Pro, you would open the Pan/Crop tool on the clip and deselect the Lock Aspect Ratio control, then adjust the borders of the pan/crop outline to hide the borders of the image. Then export in the desired format.
    Ok, I use Vegas Movie Studio 16.0 (now MAGIX). I tried your method and it worked!

Thank you for your kind help,

Regards,

Lee
    Last edited by BAW9DV; 07-23-2020 at 11:39 AM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BAW9DV View Post
    Hello,

Ok, I use Vegas Movie Studio 16.0 (now MAGIX). I tried your method and it worked!

Thank you for your kind help,

Regards,

Lee
    I'm happy to help and glad it worked out for you.