Thread: How do I edit a portion of audio in a Movie Studio 16.0 project?

Default How do I edit a portion of audio in a Movie Studio 16.0 project?

HI,

This time, I was recording a video - and someone telephoned me during it and the ringing sound has gotten onto the audio track in the video I was shooting !!!

So I have found the section of audio track where the ringing sound is and that I want to manipulate but I am not sure how to "select" just this portion of the track so I can either edit it in Audacity or perhaps just insert a new audio section of the same length into that part of the audio. I know about un-grouping the audio from the video in the timeline (I edit pretty much directly on the timeline in my projects) so that both the audio and video tracks can move independently. But how do I first select just a small part of the audio track?

Also, how can I make a copy of a wanted part of the audio track to insert into the audio track to replace the unwanted part?

Right now, I am not sure if it is best to cut a piece of the unaffected audio (the same length as the part where the phone ringing can be heard) from earlier in the project and then paste it into the audio track in place of the unwanted part ......

..... or cut the unwanted part and edit it in Audacity to try and remove the ringing but leave the rest of the audio. This might be a project in itself!!

Advice would be most welcomed.

Cheers,

Lee

Blog Entries

Hi Lee,

So long as the background sound is similar, your first option (sopy and paste audio from earlier/later in the track) will be your best option.
    1. Once you start mucking around trying to remove elements of soun (eg in Audacity) it will affect the sound of teh whole section so it may well be noticable when you paste it back in.
    2. It's far quicker if you don't need to muck about in Audacity, Izotope RX or whatever.

Here's one way to do it.
    1. Right-click your event on the timeline and select "Open in Trimmer"
    2. In the trimmer window Shift + Tab cycles between select video + audio, audio only and video only as identified by icons which pop up. You want to "select audio only". If you're unsure which is selected, you can tight click in the trimmer and use the menu option.
    3. In the trimmer window find a portion of the audio you want to use a a patch and select it. I find it simplest to click and drag across the waveform then trim the ends to suit.
    4. Now place the timeline (not trimmer) cursor where you want the patched bit of audio to begin and Press "A"
    5. This will replace the audio on the timeline, starting from the timeline cursor position with the audio from the trimmer for the length of the selection.
    6. You can then adjust the lengths of what are now three individual audio clips to suit.
    7. I would also create a shot cross fade at each end of the inserted clip to avoid any clicks.
    Tim

Tim,

My apologies for the late reply - I have been helping my son ....

Ok, I have tried to do this but it does not work unfortunately. Firstly, opening the Trimmer only opens a very small window. I tried to drag the window to a larger size but even then, the audio part is so very small and almost impossible to see! Even so I tried to "drag" across the area I wanted to "copy" but this does not work at all.

So, I tried inserting makers at the beginning of the area I wanted to select (as I said, really difficult to do because the audio track is so very small!) and then pressed "A" - but all that did was completely copy the whole audio track and place it on the end of the video!

Surely it cannot be this difficult .....

Sorry - I'm stumped! By the way - I'm using Movie Studio 16.0

Regards,

Lee

Blog Entries

OK I assumed (makes an ass of u and me) this would be similar in VMS to Pro. They've diverged somewhat since I last used VMS (version 6)
    I can't get hold of VMS16 but I've downloaded v17 which seems to have dispensed with the Trimmer!

No problem. Same trick, but use the timeline instead of the trimmer.

1. make a copy of your video event to somewher later down the timeline.
    2. Trim it so it's the length of the audio you want only
    3. Make sure you have the audio you wnat selected (this will also select the video) and press "U" this will ungroup the audio and video.
    4. Drag the aiudio over the "bad" audio as previously discussed.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
    Tim

Tim,

OK I assumed (makes an ass of u and me) this would be similar in VMS to Pro. They've diverged somewhat since I last used VMS (version 6)
    I can't get hold of VMS16 but I've downloaded v17 which seems to have dispensed with the Trimmer!

No problem. Same trick, but use the timeline instead of the trimmer.

1. make a copy of your video event to somewher later down the timeline.
    2. Trim it so it's the length of the audio you want only
    3. Make sure you have the audio you wnat selected (this will also select the video) and press "U" this will ungroup the audio and video.
    4. Drag the aiudio over the "bad" audio as previously discussed.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
    Ok, that worked! Thank you What I did was set the selection line at the beginning of the unwanted part and timed the length of the unwanted part - 28 seconds. Then I moved to another part of the timeline with the same sound and then used the SPLIT option to "cut" the video at the beginning point and again at the end point of the portion I wanted. I then "copied" the cut section and put it at the end of the timeline..

Next, I edited the portion to make it the correct length - then un-grouped to separate the video and audio - and deleted the video, leaving just the wanted audio.

Lastly, I dragged the new audio clip over to "cover" the unwanted 28 seconds of audio section in the timeline. All good!

Thank you.

Regards,

Lee
    Last edited by BAW9DV; 07-23-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Glad you sorted it. I do this sort of thing all the time in Vegas and don't even think about it. You make it sound so complicated
    Tim

Glad you sorted it. I do this sort of thing all the time in Vegas and don't even think about it. You make it sound so complicated
    Ok, well I did not mean to make it complicated. I guess I just post what I did so that others can learn.

Again, thanks for your help,

Lee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BAW9DV View Post
    Ok, well I did not mean to make it complicated. I guess I just post what I did so that others can learn.
    I didn't mean you made it complicated - just that when typed out it looks more complicated than it feels once you get used to it.
    The instructions for making acup of tea look incredibly complicated when written down.

Absolutely right that you took the trouble to post how you solved it. As you say, it may well help other. Cheers!
    Tim