Thread: Switch

1. Default Switch

poster (small).jpg

Night, Nintendo, Nightmare...

https://youtu.be/-5YRzE96N44

Like, comment, subscribe, share... enjoy.

Sweet and simple, nicely done!
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Sweet and simple, nicely done!
    Thanks. It was mostly just a collection of ideas, probably a bit too cliched though...

Sometimes a cliché is good and there's also a nice pun in there somewhere with the Switch switch
    The cats are watching us...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Sometimes a cliché is good and there's also a nice pun in there somewhere with the Switch switch
    Yeah, I had to explain that to my wife...

Blog Entries

Perhaps one of you would be kind enough to explain it to me?
    I loved the lighting and the atmosphere you created, but i just found it confusing.
    This is what I took from it:

Girl playing a video game. The grid thing in the foreground is unusual/interesting and takes my attention. Should it? It looks like a portcullis leaning toward the girl.
    She's confident and immersed in the game

Another girl in mask behnd another grid (momentary confusion - is it the same grid - no, it's probably her looking in through a window). Nice camera push in gives this a sinister impression of a voyeur. Girl in mask has no movement so unclear whether this is a real person or a mnnequin.

My favorite shot/lighting - half the girl's face as we see her concentration on the game. This is confirmed by the following shot of the game in almost full screen.
    She is uaware of the sinister mannequin/girl in mask.

So far, so good, apart from the probable irrelevance of the "grid" in the opening shot.
    Cut to another person? Or is it the girl in the mask? It looks rather different to the previous shot of the gilr in the mask - the hair obscures much of the face and the lighting makes it rather ambiguous. Plus, of course, it's no longer looking through a window (we haven't seen that character move so we don't know that this is the same character, we can only guess). Ambiguity not a problem, but at some point we hope this will be disabguated.

Cut to shot of console controller, showing the girls is still 100% concentrating on her game.

Cut to shot of masked girl moving. Whilst it is lit more brightly than the previous shot, it has similar hair across face and confirms that previous shot was indeed the girl with the mask.

Cautious movement of girl in mask, but eye movement makes her appear very unsure of what she's doing. (Contrast with younger girl who appears entirely confident)
    Shot of girl immersed ingame again - momentarily distracted looks behind her, but turns back to continue her game. This turning back indicates she is dismissive of any distracton she may have thought she heard.

But now it gets really confusing

The pace steps up several notches with the masked girl running towards the camera (plus zoom blur) which give the impression she is now rapidly chasing towards the the gamer - presumably to attack her. I can conceive of no other possible meaning in this shot!

But the we cut to the gamer walking cautiosuly through the kitchen, presumably investigating the cause of her earlier distraction.(so the mask girl didn't attack her)
    She opens a cupboard and finds a vacuum cleaner. The camera push in towards the vacuum cleaner gives significance to this, but I fail to understand it.
    In the next shot, the girl is looking side to side warily (she does a great job BTW) and so I assume, now more worried, she is looking for the cause of the earlier distraction.

Girl in mask jumps out of mowhere with a screech.

Gamer girl jumps up , surprised (as you would be) but no more than surprised. (there's no suggestion any real harm has come to her).

The mask falls
    The mask is on the floor over the console controller.
    Fade.

I've absolutely no idea what happened. I don't mind ambiguity, but ambiguity usually means there are two or more possibilities as to what happened. Here I don't have a single possibility.
    As for the pun, I gather there is a Nintendo console called Switch - perhaps the film only works for people who know what that is.

This is not meant to be a downer on the film, as I said you create a great atmosphere, but I'm left feeling "What was that all about?" because I don't know whether:

(a) I have failed to understand the significance of many of the signposts in the film, or
    (b) I have read significance into incidental things things you have indavertantly given emphasis to.

I'd be very interested in your response (and indeed Grapes' response as he clearly didn't suffer the confusion my little brain did )
    Tim

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Perhaps one of you would be kind enough to explain it to me?
    I loved the lighting and the atmosphere you created, but i just found it confusing.
    This is what I took from it:

This is not meant to be a downer on the film, as I said you create a great atmosphere, but I'm left feeling "What was that all about?" because I don't know whether:

(a) I have failed to understand the significance of many of the signposts in the film, or
    (b) I have read significance into incidental things things you have indavertantly given emphasis to.

I'd be very interested in your response (and indeed Grapes' response as he clearly didn't suffer the confusion my little brain did )
    The 'grid' at the beginning was shot through the back screen door of my house, supposed to be just an 'establishing shot', no intended meaning. The second 'grid' was obviously through the window.

The audio motifs indicate the differences between the shots of the two characters. The bass beat is supposed to set the pacing of the piece.

The different shots of the masked character is intended to be reflective of the idea used in the Dr Who episode about the weeping angels that move closer if you blink (if you've never seen the episode go check it out. (Blink Season 3, Episode 10)).

There is indeed a Nintendo console called a Switch. The title also alludes to the concept of possibly a 'switch' between two extremes of a single personality.

Not sure why you would be confused about where the shots of the masked character were the same person - same mask, would imply the same.

No significance of the vacuum cleaner, just needed to show the fact that there was nothing unusual in the cupboard.

Any harm that may occur is implied, I would have thought. You don't really need to specifically show it, up to the audience.

Possibly overthinking this.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Blog Entries

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Without doubt I'm guilty of overthinking - but this was in retrospect. I didn't understand the film so I was looking for reasons I didn't understand it.
    The second shot of the mask definitely looks more "organic" or natural to me, more like a face with make-up than a mask. The other shots of the mask have more light and it is more obviously a mask. I realise it is the same mask, it just doesn't look it - hence my erm "confusion" is probably too strong a word - "uncertainty" might be better.

The vacuum cleaner in the cupboard and the "grid" in the first shot demonstrate the importance of avoiding drawing attention to something which is not significant. The vacuum cleaner stands out both because of its bright green colour and because it is the only thing visible in the cupboard, the grid at the beginning stands out because it is an unusual item in an otherwise common domestic shot.

You haven't attempted to explain why we see the masked character apparently rush towards the gamer then the girl apparently searching the areas where the masked character has rushed from. (or so it appears from the shots around 1:45. It ooks like the masked girl runs right through the other without the gamer noticing. Perhaps this is intended to signify the possibility of two sides of a single personality?

The "weeping angels" reference worked very well. I was immediately reminded of it which demonstrates both (a) you managed to achieve it well and (b) how strong a cultural impact that Dr Who reference made (I don't think I ever watched it as such, but I am very much aware of it and have seen some of the scenes several times).

"Any harm that may occur is implied, I would have thought. You don't really need to specifically show it, up to the audience. "

Totally agree - indeed it is very often strnger if you don't show it. But I didn't feel anything was implied (feel free to clue me in).
    Tim