Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to normalize volume in MP4 WITHOUT re-encoding the Video?

Default How to normalize volume in MP4 WITHOUT re-encoding the Video?

Hi all,

How can I normalize the audio (volume) in an MP4 WITHOUT having to re-encode the video?

This seems to be one of the Holy Grails and after trawling the internet I just find people with the same question but no answers...

So I'm using OSX, and I want to:

1) Change the volume of the Audio in an MP4 video file
    2) Save it with NO CHANGE to the Video at all - the video is exactly the the same as before - JUST the audio has been changed

Thanks for any help you can offer - please note, I'm not interested in any responses where the video is re-encoded only responses that leave the video untouched and only the audio is changed.

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer!

As far as I know there is no program that does this. the MP4 container contains both the video data as well as the audio data and I'm fairly certain these can't be separated without re-encoding even though it's possible to stitch or cut MP4s without re-encoding.
    What is your concern? If you just drop the MP4 into an editor and export it without sound you end up with a video that looks exactly the same but without sound. So I'm not quite sure what problem you are trying to solve and why it's worth your time and effort. Can you please clarify so we may see if there's an alternative solution to the core problem?
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    As far as I know there is no program that does this. the MP4 container contains both the video data as well as the audio data and I'm fairly certain these can't be separated without re-encoding even though it's possible to stitch or cut MP4s without re-encoding.
    What is your concern? If you just drop the MP4 into an editor and export it without sound you end up with a video that looks exactly the same but without sound. So I'm not quite sure what problem you are trying to solve and why it's worth your time and effort. Can you please clarify so we may see if there's an alternative solution to the core problem?
    Thanks. Avidmux is capable of doing this on OSX but I'm using El Capitan and it doesn't work with that. I'm looking to have my clips normalized before I bring them into Filmora 8, (which is what I'm using) as the audio options of Filmora are really limited. I can extract the audio with QT7 pro, open it in an audio editor, normalize, add back - but this re-saves the file as a MOV. I was hoping to just affect the audio.

I can also open the MP4 in Pro Tools and do the same thing, but this too will save it as a QT file so it's affecting the Video again.

It's just that you'd think this would be an easy thing to do in 2020. Avidmux allows you to do this but I'd have to upgrade my OS in order to use it.

I'll 'stick' - and carry on using a 30 year old program QT7 pro or just do it in PT and 'bite the bullet' on yet another encoding that's unnecessary.....

Shame.

4. Default

Couldn't you extract the audio, process it in an audio editor then replace the audio track in Filmora? A video editor that doesn't allow such a simple operation seems to me rather useless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Couldn't you extract the audio, process it in an audio editor then replace the audio track in Filmora? A video editor that doesn't allow such a simple operation seems to me rather useless.
    i think you're missing the point. this will re-encode the video. Vegas has some capabilities for not re-encoding but it very much depends on the codec (and isn't for MacOS anyway)
    Tim

What's the big problem with the re-encoding though... I still don't understand why that's such a problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    What's the big problem with the re-encoding though... I still don't understand why that's such a problem.
    No idea what the OPs issue is but two oft quoted ones are a reduction in quality due to decompression & recompression and the time it takes.
    Tim

Yes that's what I indeed often read as well. I mean the time I can understand slightly but the quality loss is really only apparent after you do it about 20 times over if indeed at all which kind of makes me imagine that all the time you put into research could also be put in render time which to me makes some sense.
    On the other hand when you are working with a 10 to 12 hour long video upwards of 150GB in size (been there done that) re-encoding time becomes a lot more painful.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    i think you're missing the point. this will re-encode the video. Vegas has some capabilities for not re-encoding but it very much depends on the codec (and isn't for MacOS anyway)
    My understanding was that he was going to do something in Filmora (that might re-encode it) and he wanted to avoid a re-encoding on top of that just for processing the audio. So process just the audio in an audio program and replace it in Filmora, then do whatever he was going to do to the video in Filmora.

He could open the video in Pro Tools, do the needed processing, bounce (export) as an audio file (48/16), load the original video in Filmora, load the processed audio file in Filmora, delete or mute the unprocessed audio that's embedded in the original video file.

Adding and replacing audio are essential functions of a video editor. If Filmora can't do that then it's severely handicapped.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Adding and replacing audio are essential functions of a video editor. If Filmora can't do that then it's severely handicapped.
    But as I said, i think you'll find most NLEs will re-encode the video when perfoming this process as opposed to simply remuxing the audio with the existing video.

Just to satisfy myself, I loaded a sub 4 min film into DaVinci Resolve and rendered it .h264 MP4.
    I then took the resulting back into Resolve and rendered it again without changing any setting.
    It took 2:21

A similar experinent in Vegas and the render took 3:40

I then took the resulting clip from step one above and brought it into Avidemux and replaced the audio
    I rendered (or rather re-muxed) it and it was basically too fast for me to time (sub 5 seconds)

That's the difference!

I agree with both you and Grapes that the quality loss and additional time might not be a big deal, but that wasn't the question
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast