Thread: Advice on new computer....

Default Advice on new computer....

Hi there, I'm looking at purchasing my first Apple machine. Bottom line is I've always wanted to try one having been PC based forever.

I'm looking at the 2020 macbook pro https://www.apple.com/nz/shop/buy-ma...-3.9ghz-256gb#

Is this machine ok for video editing in 4k from my gopro for basic videos, nothing professional or flashy, just family videos.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Nick

Blog Entries

What software do you pkan to use? Choice of hardware should always be subservient to choice of software.
    Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply but you've got me there. I assume that it comes with imovie or some other basic video editor, if there's a better free one then great. The only thing I note about that machine is that it's 8 ram and it seems basic searching everyone goes for 16, which I have the option to upgrade to of course.....

Cheers,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    What software do you pkan to use? Choice of hardware should always be subservient to choice of software.

Blog Entries

Ahh, I think I've got you. You want to buy a MacBook as a general purpose machine, and are enquiring about its video editing capabilities, rather than you wnat a machine specifically for video editing.

One thing you'll find coming from a PC background is upgrade options are limited, so you will need to buy the spec you want (I may be wrong, but I've a feeling the RAM is soldered in in the MacBook.
    Imovie. I was listening to the PC Pro podcast last week and there was talk that Apple have massively hiked the prices for the additional 8GB (when compared with other brands)
    Tim

Many thanks Tim and yes you are correct in saying a general purpose home machine (and yes I know it's probably not the most economical thing to do for something that will be used 90% of the time for basic tasks) but I have a heap of footage that I struggle to do anything meaningful with from holidays etc. I have no doubt that I could get a higher spec'd machine for less but as I say I've always wanted to try apple. Looks like upgrading to 16GB will sting me about 180 Stirling and yes you are correct in saying once it's in, it's in....Very much appreciate your time.

Cheers, Nick